SOTD : Saturday 3rd February - Friday 9th February 2018.

Thursday 8th February 2018
SOTD 8 Feb.JPG
Pre Shave: Hot Shower + Body Shop Maca Root face wash and Proraso White
Razor: Gillette Slim K3 1965 (#7)
Blade: Gillette Thin 1960 (#1)
Brush: Vie Long Horse
Soap: Musgo Real Oakmoss cream
Bowl: Korium
AS: Bulldog Balm

Today's shave did not start too well, the Gillette Thin blade felt very tuggy on the first pass, I almost abandoned it but it was cutting fine. The second two passes were far better, much smoother. In the end the result was very good, this blade is never going to be a match for most modern Stainless blades, but considering it is nearly sixty years old it fared very well.

Date: 09 February 2018

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
Brush:- Stirling Finest Badger 26/54mm knot
Soap/Cream:- Tabac 4x
Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
Frankenrazor:– Muhle R41 v2013 head with Bulldog Handle
Blade:- Astra Superior Platinum #4
Post-shave:- Thayers Witch Hazel / Lucky Tiger Aftershave & Face Tonic
Fragrance:- L'eau D'issey Pour Homme

Pre: BBA Face Wash
Razor: Rockwell 6C
Blade: Astra SP
Brush: Stirling Synthetic 24mm
Cream: BBA Shave Cream
86657ea062ccdde9f2e154c406d38bfa.jpg

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

Gillette gel/Wilkinson Sword Classic razor/Voskhod blade (#5)

Well, I've managed to stretch the blade (edge) out to day five, and still got a nice shave, but by god I had to work for it. I think at the price these blades go for it's not really worth stretching them out that far. The performance drop-off is fairly rapid.

Pre: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Castle Forbes pre-shave gel
Brush: Tony Forsyth P&C LE 2017 Platypus
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Razor: UFO Tornado / ATT S1
Blade: Vintage Gillette Platinum Plus (1)
EdT: Penhaligon's Bayolea
and debuting the PAA/Crown King Travel Scuttle

So, about a week ago, I watched a video espousing the virtues of the newly released PAA/Crown King travel scuttle (link below). The first 30 seconds absolutely grabbed me - the designer, Douglas Smythe, was driven by his shaving patterns of;
  1. Being a regular shower shaver
  2. Being a frequent traveller, and
  3. Having a history of travel shaves being of significantly lower quality than home shaves.
Yes, yes and yes, I exclaimed! I knew right then I was going to try this design. As I watched the video, I became more enthusiastic, as I saw the clever design features built into the scuttle. I won't elaborate further - you can view the video via the link below if you so desire for more information. I placed an order, and the scuttle arrived today.

How did it work? Well, the video claims that the scuttle is a "lather machine", so what better to use as a test soap than my Love/Hate soap, Mitchell's Wool Fat. This soap performs very well indeed for me when I get the lather right; the problem is that this only happens about 50% of the time. I know I am not the lone ranger here, many others have similar experience. So, following my normal prep, I loaded up the Platypus and let rip. It took me a little while to dial in the lather; I realised after a short whip that the scuttle was in fact aerating and building the lather so quickly that I was over-aerating it. A quick adjustment and bingo - just the right consistency, and ridiculous amounts of lovely warm slick glossy lather.

Three passes, plus some buffing, for a BBS result, helped by the beautifully sharp vintage Gillette blade. The other thing I noticed was how quickly more lather could be generated in the scuttle by additional working of the brush, without necessarily loading more soap. I've got to concede that Douglas is right - it is a lather machine!

The post shave was sublime - just a superb all round experience. Will I always load up the scuttle with hot water for warm lather? Probably not - I'll leave this for cold weather and special shaves. Will it replace a beautiful ceramic scuttle? No, and it is not intended to. It is designed and built for purpose, and that's what I find so impressive. I suspect that I'll use it mainly as a shower bowl and a travel scuttle/bowl. It will certainly accompany me on the next business trip for a thorough field test.

Congratulations to Douglas and PAA / Crown King for thinking out of the box and bringing such a cool product to the market!

BRWJRqtP_o.jpeg

Yaqi Sagrada Familia
Gillette Tech
Asco Super Stainless (1)
Pannacrema Nuavia Nera (sample)
Thayers Rose, Nivea Balm & Al Rehab Sultan

A fantastic soap, absolutely stonking scent and top notch performance. I can see myself getting a jar of this, maybe another of Verde, expensive but I miss it. A really healthy sized sample from ShaveDash as well, enough for several more uses.

First use of an Asco and I must say very impressive, the only other blades from Egypt I have tried are one of the Sharks and they are decent but this was a very good blade. The Tech is hit or miss for me but today was an undeniable hit. Smooth and comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom