SOTD Saturday 5th September to Friday 11th September

Sat 5th Sept.
Omega 11126
Vitos Red Soap
ER 1912 SEvette
Gem S/S [ 2 ] + Gem 1/2 Spine Shim a la Fergie Billy
Alum Rub/Rinse Off
Myrsol Antesol A/S
Decided that with the use of a shim in the cap of the Razor,the blade angle might be more like that of ah old blade. For me it seemed to work and I got a smooth close shave , though due to inexperience found it difficult around the tip of the chin. Lather with the soap was a great help.
P2020001.jpg P2020002.jpg

Old type
Rubberset boar
AoS sandalwood tallow
Proraso as

rps20150905_093932_541.jpg

Lovely vintage shave. The old type is a truly great razor, smooth, comfortable and seriously close.

The AoS sandalwood is one soap worth the hype. If you get the chance, buy some.

Greg.

SOTD 5/9/15

Hot Towel
Palmolive Stick
Wilkinson Sword Boar
Bluebeards Revenge Shavette
Cold Towel
Alum
Woodspice Ambe
r

AdobePhotoshopExpress_3b76cd9537284210999bdeb68757e458.jpg

Weekends I have designated to be shavette days as I have the time to dedicate to the shave without being rushed...or so I thought today. My son was eager to listen to the new Iron Maiden album I had playing during todays shave, so he committed the act of "shavus interruptus". This resulted in me losing concentration and slicing my chin a bit on the second pass. That said, the WTG and XTG passes were pretty good. Not BBS at all, but the fact that the only drama was the slice was the only drama, I'll take that as a win.

Result? 3.5/5. Reduced quality due to only 2 passes and a slice in the shave. Technique seems to be getting dialled in slowly.

SOTD - Saturday
Pre: RazoRock menthol/lime soap
Soap: BSBC "London Skies" (old tallow version)
Brush: Shavemac Americana 24mm 2-band silvertip
Razor: OneBlade
Blade: Feather FHS SE (1)
Post: Thayer's Original witch hazel, followed by Floïd Blue
Day-6 of the Barbershop Shootout. First time with the OneBlade, a very sexy but mild razor. No matter what I tried I couldn't cut myself. No pressure, too much pressure, bad angles, didn't matter.
This Feather SE blade isn't nearly as sharp as its DE cousin, not even close. Blade started tugging by the 3rd pass. Ended up with a 4-pass DFS, good thing it's the weekend.

Schick M adjustable on 3 with Schick Ultra Platinum
Nanny's Cedarwood and Vetiver
Semogue 1305
Sir Irisch Moos aftershave

I don't know why but I'm getting superb easy shaves with this razor and blade combo. Admittedly I've had closer against the grain on some of my neck, but not without some irritation.

Prep: Hot shower
Pre: S.M.Novella pre-shave
Soap: Truefitt & Hill - Rose cream
Bowl: Fine Accoutrements
Brush: L'Occitane synthetic
Razor: Feather Popular
Blade: Sputnik (1)
After: WH, Myrsol Plastic AS, Coral Skin Food

First time using the Feather Popular razor (testing for use when travelling). I tested with a Sputnik which I can count on as being a dependable blade. Like others had warned it's a very mild razor and gave a very mild result in that I could still feel bristles on my chin after the shave. Not good. I even tried applying a little pressure as it's such a light razor.
Tomorrow I try it with a shim to see if that makes enough difference.

Enjoy your day, folks.

95f0c43f-4a13-4124-8e2e-db281deb7493_zps7yitsfxr.jpg

Two new additions tried today - the LS 30mm and the Aristo...

First off, the LS. Wow, after the first use it has completely mushroomed - just like an atomic cloud. It is absolutely massive with a capital 'f'. It also holds a huge amount of water.

It face lathered and bowl lathered the Sheikh's Musk with ease and, already, it may be seen that some hook tips are present and correct...

Next up, the 1946/47 Aristocrat. Nothing could have prepared me for how luxuriously tactile the shave with the Aristo was going to be. It was sublime - it's a mild razor but, paired with the Sputnik, it was very efficient with excellent feedback. I'm on an endorphin overload at the minute. A truly existential shave...

Ohh, yes, the Fine Fresh Vetiver AS and the Mailizia Uomo Vetyver EdT compliment each other wonderfully too.

Last edited:
Saturday 5 September 2015

211112d1441462415-sun-august-30th-sat-september-06th-sotd-05092015.jpg

Still Traveling with a Mastro Livi CarboInox

I am still enjoying shaving with this Mastro Livi CarboInox razor as this is the razor I brought with me this time. And I am still enjoying the super smooth and close shave this straight razor can give. I used one of the most popular Italian shaving soaps - Cella - and, once again, it proved to be a very good tallow based soap, one of the best we have in Italy. The refreshing touch of my Thyrrenus after shave has been the usual soothing ice massage with a great cooling effect on the skin and a lovely refreshing touch.​

• Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: Cella Shaving Soap
  • Brush: Optim'Hom J-082 Synthetic
  • Bowl: Chinese Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Loom Strop and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi CarboInox, 6/8 Full Hollow, Barber's Notch
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Argan Oil
  • After Shave: RazorGuy Thyrrenus

pcQXknal.png

Shave & Scent of the day with:
Soap: Martin de Candre Fougere
Brush: L'Occitane Plisson Synthetic
Razor: ATT Atlas R1
Blade: Rapira Swedish Supersteel (1st)
Post: Saponificio Varesino Aromatic Fern After Shave Balm
Scent: Allure Homme Blanche Edition by Chanel

Smooth shave courtesy of this awesome soap!

Back
Top Bottom