SOTD Saturday 5th September to Friday 11th September

Swing Razor with Rowler's Dad stainless handle
Strop Shoppe Baker St
Rapira Swede
Virginiasheng Purtech
Bay rum splash

Recovery shave after yesterday's dreadful Derby Extra.

Fri 11th Sept .
OLD v NEW
My second shave with the Gem 1912 Damaskeene and NOS Damaskeene blade. Again shaved with Vitos Red at approx same time each time used. The Razor/ Blade combination seemed aggressive & tuggy , and the resultant shave was better than the first time, but not as good as achieved with the Razor and a modern blade.

P2050002.jpg

Greetings

Friday 11th September 2015
Prep: Shower
Razor: GEM OCMM
Blade: GEM Blue Star Carbon
Brush: Semogue OC 2 Band
Soap: Vitos Extra Super
Aftershave: Astral Cream (soft)
EDT: Boucheron Jaipur Homme

A really great shave, reinforcing in my mind what I have believed for several years that the OCMM shaves better than any other razor I own.

On a different note I have at last obtained some of the new Astral Cream Soft which replaced my long standing favourite, Astral Cream light and creamy, it is excellent, the only difference I can detect is an updated perfume that is less 'grannyish' but is in any case so transient that it is gone within a minute. I strongly suspect this cream in a tube was simply brought out to compete against the Nivea soft in a tube (which is IMHO greasy)

Regards
Dick.

DSC06223.JPG

Fri 11th Sept .
OLD v NEW
My second shave with the Gem 1912 Damaskeene and NOS Damaskeene blade. Again shaved with Vitos Red at approx same time each time used. The Razor/ Blade combination seemed aggressive & tuggy , and the resultant shave was better than the first time, but not as good as achieved with the Razor and a modern blade.

View attachment 14610
Greetings
This mirrors my findings exactly, having tried several of these blades and having stropped them on a wide variety of mediums and with and without different abrasives, I could never make one shave anywhere near as good as a modern blade. Now whether these blades were once ok and they have deteriorated with time or they were always crap I do not honestly know.
Regards
Dick.

Gave the Hoffritz Futur a spin this morning with the Polo 14 and MWF - fantastic shave - I don't give the Futur enough outings so moving it onto the main shelf.

Ratty
IMG_20150911_102744.jpg

v6vhLROl.png

Shave & Scent of the day with:
Soap: Catie's Bubbles Waterlyptus
Brush: L'Occitane Plisson Synthetic
Razor: ATT Atlas R1
Blade: Kai (1st)
Post #1: Anthony After Shave Balm
Post #2: Origins Multi-benefit Moisturizer
Scent: Millesime Imperial by Creed

Sliced my finger trying to load a new Kai blade into my Atlas this morning. Not a good start to the day!

SOTD 11/9/15

Hot Towel
Taylor of Old Bons Street Sandalwood
Wilkinson Sword Boar
Merkur 39C
Astra SS (7)
Cold Towel
Nivea Cooling ASB

AdobePhotoshopExpress_7831fdf4144740c7a046b80b8f457e8a.jpg

This mornings shave had me thinking of Egypt and the epic bathroom we had in our hotel room at the Sheraton Luxor. Usual preparation ensued, as did a three pass shave with the trusty Merkur 39C. A quality shave was had, with the blade showing hints of being end of life by not cutting as efficiently as it normally would. That said, a 90+% BBS shave was achieved with minimal effort in a short time frame.

Result? 5/5. A quality shave, with a fantastic cream and wonderful memories of a land far far away.

Friday's Fettling:

Merkur 34HD, Ri Mei Platinum
Hand-carved Ash Boar
Ingram
Blue Stratos AS
Homemade Menthol Post Shave Oil
Blue Stratos EdT

Excellent shave with this very good blade. Will give it another run out next time and see if it holds up for a third shave.

Back
Top Bottom