SOTD: Saturday 6th January - Friday 12th January 2018.

Pre: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Castle Forbes pre-shave gel
Brush: Savile Row 3824 Silvertip Badger
Soap: I Coloniali
Razor: UFO Tornado / Colonial General
Blade: Feather Pro (3)
EdT: GFT Eucris

After initial struggles, I am starting to finally dial in a couple of well-credentialed Italian vegetable-base soaps - first Saponificio Varesino, and now I Coloniali. Lovely slick lather that performed very well indeed. Threes passes plus some buffing for a BBS result.

2ds4bad.jpg

Maseto Memphis 2 Band Finest
Merkur Mergress
Mem Super Silver Platinum (2)
Saponificio Varesino Tundra Artica
Alum Block & Saponificio Varesino Tundra Artica

Chaps is the Saponificio post shave a balm or balm/aftershave? I can't make my mind up. My first use of SV outside of a sample and wow! I loved it, superb soap and I am kicking myself I didn't get on it earlier in my journey. Easy to load and superb cushion and protection, good post shave feel for the minute or two I felt it before the alum.

A good shave with the second use of the blade, perhaps a tad better than the first. Two small nicks, both user error, small one on my chin, I have a cleft chin so caught myself there and nicked my lip ever so slightly with the blade overhang. Carelessness for both, there's a reason why PaulHFilms always mentions the overhang!!!

Saturday AM 2018-01-06

Moss Anniversary Slate scuttle
Paladin Somerset Winston Churchill SE (28mm/55mm)
Acqua di Parma Colonia soft soap (original)
Delta Echo Ink Edition Feather AS-D2/UFO Colibri
Polsilver Super Iridium (1)
Acqua di Genova 1853 aftershave

Today I started an 8-day comparison trial of original Acqua di Parma Colonia soap and the more modern Acqua di Parma soap, during which I will alternate between them each day, using the same scuttle, brush, and razor with each. Today I used the original version (with the gold lid), which gave me a wonderful BBS shave, as always. The lather required moderate effort to produce rich, fragrant lather with excellent body and lubrication. I used aftershave, but it was obvious that the soap's skin care was quite good.
97JzyOk.jpg

543_DEF7_B-08_CE-4_D09-8861-_C895_FCC43884.jpg

‘Space' 2-band
Muhle Rocca
Rapira Stainless
BBA Shave Cream
BBA PSB
Guerlain Santal Royal

Decided to change up the blade to see what characteristics were altered in this razor. However, I did also break a couple of my own rules.
1. No shaving consecutive days. Something of a ‘faux rule' as, with continual technique improvement, I'm noticing I can shave consecutive days now without issue.
2. No ATG on my neck. It actually worked pretty well, considering I've had such issues with it before. Only place I had weepers was inline with my Adam's apple at the front/base of my neck.
Everywhere else is smooth but I used some of the BBA PSB to try and remedy the 4/5 weepers I did acquire!

Who's next?! :D

Sat 6th JanuarySha.

RazoRock Syn. 24mm
P & B Spitfire
ATT SE G1
Gem S/S ( 4 ) + 1/2 spine Shim trimmed.
Alum Rub/ Rinse off
Tuff Red A/S lotion

Having previously discovered this Razor only works for me with a shimmed blade, as otherwise it is too mild.This time I used a 1/2 Spine Shim trimmed down to fit the Razor

The Shave was smooth and comfortable with a nice close all round finish,as good as those I get with a 1914/1924 ! Probably better than yesterdays with a Mongoose.

IMG_0172.jpg

Last edited:
SOTD_20180106-1024x683.jpg

• Safety Razor: Edwin Jagger - R35611SR - Ebony / Nickle plated
  • Blade: Polsilver - Super Iridium
  • Shaving Brush: Edwin Jagger - Ebony / Nickle plated (Pure Badger)
  • Shaving Bowl: Edwin Jagger - ND46
  • Shaving Cream: Taylor Of Old Bond Street - Eton College (sample)
  • After-Shave: Taylor Of Old Bond Street - Sandalwood - Gel
  • Fragrance: Taylor Of Old Bond Street - Sandalwood - Luxury Cologne

Vitos Red Super Extra
Yaqi 24mm Tuxedo Marble Handle
Parker 98R
Voskhod (1)
Lime witch hazel mixture
L'oreal Hydra Sensitive Post Shave Balm

This was my second run out with the Parker 98R. Last time I used it paired with a Super Max Blue Diamond blade and it wasn't a smooth encounter
The Voskhod felt so much better it was almost like I was using a completely different razor. Much smoother and more efficient. Each pass removed the whiskers closer than with the Super Max blade.
The weight of this razor is a constant reminder to use the lightest touch. I would imagine it would be easy to get nicks and cuts if undue pressure is used.
Three passes today instead of my usual two just to use the peaky mountain mountain of lather whipped up by my Yaqi Tuxedo.
The resultant finish is perfect. All traces of growth entirely removed.

1515255424572.jpg

The mould was broken . . . . .

Back
Top Bottom