Sputniks...

jds

I recall in a thread a while back mention being made that Sputniks were designed with Open Comb razors in mind. I've searched and searched but cannot find the post or indeed anything in the wider interweb.

Is my memory playing tricks on me?

Are any other blades designed for a specific head type?

Thanks,

Jon

jds said:
I recall in a thread a while back mention being made that Sputniks were designed with Open Comb razors in mind. I've searched and searched but cannot find the post or indeed anything in the wider interweb.

Thanks,

Jon

That would possibly be me saying they work well in the open combs I've tried. They seem to tame an aggressive razor. As always some may find them different to me. Sputniks are my favourite blade by far.

782sirbrian said:
jds said:

Thanks,

Jon

That would possibly be me saying they work well in the open combs I've tried. They seem to tame an aggressive razor. As always some may find them different to me. Sputniks are my favourite blade by far.

Well we shall see. I've loaded my new Timor OC with one for a shave tomorrow....

Given all the hype about Rapira Swedish and the Voskhod, I expected to rate Sputniks somewhere between the Ladas and the Rapira Teflon. In reality, the Sputniks outshone all the other blades in terms of performance and longevity and will be the only blade I buy from the sample pack from Unuta77.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I've tried all the blades in a Gillette Old and an Aristocrat #21, and I find that the Sputnik certainly feels smoother in an OC.

My variety pack from unuta77 arrived the other day and having tried a Voskhod previously I picked the Sputnik. It gave the most fantastic, close shave with my DE89, 3 passes smooth as you like with no sting at all from the alum afterwards. I just hope I haven't picked the best of the bunch first otherwise the other three blades from the pack I haven't tried yet are going to be a bit of an anti-climax.

Sputniks are great blades and work brilliantly in my EJ DE89 and pretty good in my Rocket HD. ALl this talk of them being suited to OC's may well tempt me to dig out my English New.

I love the Sputniks. I've actually never tried them in an OC as I don't have one anymore but they work great in any of the razors I have, especially the Futur.

It's one of the few blades I've tried recently that I would definitely consider buying in bulk, the other being the Rapira Swedish.

B

I do like Sputniks and have a few different ones under different brand names (Xpom, Lenningrad etc).

Smooth but sharp though generally only good for three or four at a push, shaves, ad consistent in whatever razor I use them in.

... a very kind gent here (who may want to remain nameless) sent me up a good sample Russian blades. The Sputnik was the first in and ... Whoa! What a shave! Absolutely silent!

I'm the present guardian of the Merkur slant pass around and going to give it its first run tonight. Quandry - go Feather, because I have to sometime, go Sputnik (present one will be a 3rd run) or drop a new Sputnik in?

After responding to Dodgy's last note to me... This thread is making me even feel older.
Can remember standing out in the dark waiting for the 1st Sputniks to fly over(;-(
They weren't very sharp either.

Johnus said:
After responding to Dodgy's last note to me... This thread is making me even feel older.
Can remember standing out in the dark waiting for the 1st Sputniks to fly over(;-(
They weren't very sharp either.

1957? It's a while since I watched the Iron Giant with the bairn.

782sirbrian said:
A UK seller has some on a Buy it now on ebay for a decent price.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-10-25-50-100-Sputnik-Teflon-coated-DE-razor-blades-UK-stock-/271345442476?pt=Shaving&var=&hash=item3f2d72deac

I got 10 for £2.50, should be interesting to compare them with my current favourites the Astra SP :)

Back
Top Bottom