Standard razor - a revelation

Once again, the turn of a Standard razor comes around, after a lot of others. I still find this an incredibly good razor, and I reckon it holds its own with almost any other.

A shave buddy bought one of these back when they were the current rage, circa. 2014. He showed it to me in the past, but said it was perhaps a tad too mild for him. It is very well made, that's for sure. Anyway, fast forward to now and he offered to loan it to me as he has fallen hopelessly in love with his new General SE razor, which seems to be the newest shiny "ball" that the forum monkeys are chasing for now. ;)

Ferrum, et al, have summed this one up very well: it's a very smooth & efficient DE razor. Is it better than a Tech or a Krona with both a top tier blade AND proper technique? I can't say quite yet. I will wring 'er out a bit more before passing final judgment. :)

A shave buddy bought one of these back when they were the current rage, circa. 2014. He showed it to me in the past, but said it was perhaps a tad too mild for him. It is very well made, that's for sure. Anyway, fast forward to now and he offered to loan it to me as he has fallen hopelessly in love with his new General SE razor, which seems to be the newest shiny "ball" that the forum monkeys are chasing for now. ;)

Ferrum, et al, have summed this one up very well: it's a very smooth & efficient DE razor. Is it better than a Tech or a Krona with both a top tier blade AND proper technique? I can't say quite yet. I will wring 'er out a bit more before passing final judgment. :)
Fourm monkeys indeed! :)

...I will wring 'er out a bit more before passing final judgment. :)

Well, I have used it more times and in some SxS scenarios with a Tech. Firstly, it's a fine razor as so many have stated. But, IMO I get just as good of a DFS with the Tech and most times the same blade was smoother in the latter. Go figure. Of course, any seasoned DE shaver knows that different blades work better in different razors. To be even more objective I used a blade that I hadn't used in perhaps a year or so in a final SxS test, the Israeli Crystal. In the particular razor I chose for this, an English 'ball end' heavy Tech, it was just flat out smoother and gave an equal shave.

In summary, my testing only applies to my face of course. :) I openly admit that in all likelihood I am biased toward the legendary Tech razors. However, that bias is only because of familiarity bred from stellar results. That's not to say that another person may find the Standard a better razor. At the very least it is better IMO than all the Merkur head clones that so many companies keep churning out ad nauseam. YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom