Standard Razor

globalm said:
cheesepiece said:
One downside I can see is the proprietary handle fitting. I didn't realise this razor was being made by apple.

The screw is a double-ended stud. I used some thread lock compound to ensure it stays in the head. This leaves a standard handle fitting on which you can use your other handles.
Thank you Paul, I hadn't known that or that a quick fix was possible.

Re: RE: Standard Razor

globalm said:
MrK1 said:
Is the thread the on the screw the 'standard' size?

I always thought it was different.

The thread that goes into the head is non-standard but the handle side is standard. The stud has different threads at each end.
Thanks for that, suddenly it becomes interesting.

I'll have a think....

Goodness knows what came over me - but I saw this thread - and saw the razor - and, knowing remarkably little about it or what a MassDrop was, I signed up at MassDrop and signed myself into the deal, paying via PayPal. It said I was number 191 to sign up (does that have any significance?).

I'l now scour the net to see what it is that I've just bought :) Certainly my black, textured, grippy handle mod will look OK on this fella.

Someone tell me I've just bought the bargain of a lifetime.

Please.....

DevonStan said:
Goodness knows what came over me - but I saw this thread - and saw the razor - and, knowing remarkably little about it or what a MassDrop was, I signed up at MassDrop and signed myself into the deal, paying via Amazon. It said I was number 191 to sign up (does that have any significance?).

I'l now scour the net to see what it is that I've just bought :) Certainly my black, textured, grippy handle mod will look OK on this fella.

Please.....

You bought a razor that many people, after having tried it, consider to be one of the top razors they've ever used - so I'd say you did pretty well getting it at a significant discount to what they normally sell for :)

191 meant you were number 191 out of 200 that were allowed in on that deal :)

The finish on Standards is, as I understand it, anodised. If so, then aluminium can be anodised in a vast range of colours (as, for example, ally bicycle components).

Any bets on a range of tasteful Standard colours? Better than Fifty Shades of Grey, at any rate.

DevonStan said:
Goodness knows what came over me - but I saw this thread - and saw the razor - and, knowing remarkably little about it or what a MassDrop was, I signed up at MassDrop and signed myself into the deal, paying via PayPal. It said I was number 191 to sign up (does that have any significance?).

Please.....

Yes you got it at a bargain price, cheapest you can buy it in the UK when its in stock is £46 plus postage, and that doesnt include the stand!

I'm starting to get a feeling for the this DE shaving caper and it's becoming very obvious that there's no pleasing everyone. So, no change there. The same the world over.

A few here might, now, know what my small collection or hardware consists of. And that I ordered a black 'Standard Razor' last night via the MassDrop and that it didn't cost a fortune....but also that I've shown interest in a diversity of other razors - cheap and expensive.

I can see that, on the forums, some regard the lower end offerings as the 'Spawn of the Devil'...for example my Braveheart was cast assunder (in a lighthearted way, I'm sure) and regarded as fodder for the lower classes :) and, equally, I can see that ATT are most highly regarded. But I really have been enjoying using all my razors...R89, R41, Progress, Braveheart, and none of them are top end jobbies. My soaps, oils, balms and pre-shave mixes are all modest (and/or subject to "modification") but seem to work well for me. Whether I move on to razors costing over £100 and soaps costing £20 a go remains to be seen. But, ultimately, it's just a sort of hobby and, essentially, a bit of fun isn't it...comparing experiences and sharing thoughts about a daily shave. And very helpful it is too and I appreciate the comments and help received to date. Thank you.

Ferrum said:
Twitter this morning reveals yet another Standard temptation. The US website is offering the razor in what seems to be a limited edition Gunmetal finish.

And, yes. Darkbulb is spot on.

There was an update on the Massdrop site letting people know that the next batch of Silver are in fact the Gunmetal and giving people the chance to change.

Roy_Drage said:
Ferrum said:
Twitter this morning reveals yet another Standard temptation. The US website is offering the razor in what seems to be a limited edition Gunmetal finish.

And, yes. Darkbulb is spot on.

There was an update on the Massdrop site letting people know that the next batch of Silver are in fact the Gunmetal and giving people the chance to change.

Indeed there was:

"Hi everyone, important update from the vendor -

These razors are already on the way to our fulfillment center so they should ship out soon after the drop ends. However, I just got off the phone with the vendor and learned that the 50 gray razors we ordered were made as "gunmetal," which is a limited edition color that Standard Razor made exclusively for Esquire last year. The color of these is actually darker than the gray we show, somewhere between the gray and the black. I will update with pictures as soon as I get them.

Overall, I think this is a net gain since a) the color will look really sweet and is not available anywhere else, and b) they were more expensive, but you will get them for the $45 price. That said, I wanted to bring it to your attention before the drop ends so that you guys can switch to black if you'd prefer.

Let me know if you have any questions!"

Excellent, as I had ordered a black and a 'gray' one - happy days!

I too will await your verdict with much interest, Martin. You have three of the razors that I referred to above which I considered to be a lot further up the pecking order. Even I, who knows not a lot, would gather that the Feather is beautifully made yet, apparently, mild (or even, very mild??) and I haven't hankered after one given the mildness of my R89. But the Ikon is something that I've gone back to read about more than once. And lastly, I confess to be a bit unsure how you might go about deciding which of the ATT's to select...there are such a lot of combinations - and then there's their slants too.

Look forward to your thoughts on the standard, though.

Back
Top Bottom