Sterilising Brushes?

I have a couple of brushes off eBay - small vintage travel ones, both were described as "unused" but clearly both have been. So How best to sterilise them. The tubes (Bakelite) I have thoroughly scrubbed and then popped through the dishwasher on a 90 degree cycle. Im a bit loath to try that with the brush, likewise Im not sure how they would stand up to a one hundred and twenty degree pressurised steam autoclave cycle of 15 minutes.

Anyone got any ideas? Or bin them and buy a Wee Scot?

How I do it:
First clean the knots in dish washing soap and let them soak in soapy water for about 15 minutes. Rinse thoroughly afterwards.
After this, soak the knot in a vinegar solution (approx. 30% vinegar) or borax solution, also for about 15 minutes. After that I rinse again and do a testlather.

If you've got wooden handles, take care to soak only the knot and not the handle as the wood may crack.

I'm no expert, so if other members have different ways, I'd like to know that as well!

Ive heard of people soaking in Borax and other similar solutuions without harm to the bristles.
Personally I'd use a regualr cleaning method like a mild diluted vinegar solution,,,couple of 5-10 minute agitated soaks followed by a few hand lathers with a mild shampoo.
I'd avoid very high temperature as the knot may come out or even fall apart.
It's probably a case of freshening the brush up rather than sterilising it.
If the knot is caked up with old lather etc at the base then I'd remove and replace with a new one.
regards beejay.

Northam Saint said:
But don't most germs die with in a few days / hours of being exposed to the air etc. What could you catch from a brush ? Would a few test lathers also not have a cleaning effect ?

I agree, any blood born viruses/bacteria would be long dead from the shipping time. Plus, you can let it sit for an extra week if your still unconvinced.

Any other infectious disease...how would it get on the brush in the first place? Not saying it won't, but just curious what I should be on the lookout for.

TBH, Hep - C is the only one I worry about as it has a remarkable ability to survive for months outside the host and still be able to infect.
Salmonella also has remarkable survival properties outside the host, but is one that Im less bothered about and have not actually encountered since an outbreak at Lytham Hospital in 1991. Boy did I mop up a LOT of runny poo then.

As it is I have reached the decision to bin both brushes and get a Wee Scot.

Father Ted said:
TBH, Hep - C is the only one I worry about as it has a remarkable ability to survive for months outside the host.

You are worried about a virus that can survive for months on a brush that has probably not been used in decades you have more to worry about it attacking you in your sleep. Hope you closed the bin lid properly

While not used brushes, I had a brief phobia about these 3$ horse hair brushes I bought (read that WW1 story about the horse hair brushes) so I read up and choose the borax and barbicide treatment. Soaked them for a few hours in the borax and water and then 20/30 mins in the barbicide. Washed it then with hair shampoo. Still here- me and the brushes!

Have a look here http://hepatitis.about.com/od/questions/f/Virus_live.htm

So 4 days at the most Hep C can survive out side the body with 16 hours being thought of by the experts.

The only way really would be blood to blood contact. So if you shared a brush with someone with Hep C, they cut them self and there was blood on the brush when you used it, which then came into contact with a cut on your face.

Back
Top Bottom