Stock Pot/Soup Making Item

Hi all,

Just wondering if any members could advise on a good purchase for the above.

Soups will be of the chunky/broth type and onviously stocks speak for themselves.

Anyone using the Raymond Blanc Anolon range of pans etc, as treated myself to a set of these but have yet to put into use?

Cheers.

Pete

I've had a set of those pans for over a decade and they are still great performers now. As long as you show them reasonable care, they'll last a long old time (I would say that it's better not to dishwash them - or any non stick pans - unless you're using good quality, non abrasive salts and use plastic utensils).

I use my largest one for making soups and it's perfect for the job. The only time I deviate is when cooking for a large party and I then dig out a large capacity cast iron casserole dish (a Le Crueset equivalent).

One word of advice, coming from bitter experience, is take the pan off the heat for a few seconds before using a hand blender. I didn't and managed to melt the plastic blade guard with the net result that the now exposed blade took large chunks out of the non stick coating and rendered both the pan and soup useless.

Is there any real point in large non-stick stock pot? Something quite large with a lid in aluminium or stainless steel will suffice.

Agreed - but if you've just bought a set of non-stick pans that includes a sufficiently large one (my Anolon set did) then there's less point still in buying anything in addition to it.

...unless you damage it of course, each to his own but I'd still get something larger than what you have that's a little more robust and less precious.

Ah yes, good call - the damage was to a previous pan in fairness but I can see how you'd draw that conclusion. Re. size - I can make stock from a chicken carcass in the large pan, so it's good enough for my use. I guess my real point is: use what you've got before deciding to buy something else.

antdad said:
Is there any real point in large non-stick stock pot? Something quite large with a lid in aluminium or stainless steel will suffice.

I'd go with this or something with a copper base if you want to splash out. Mind you I got these Tesco pans which are great value.

Morning, and thanks for the replies.

Unfortunately the set that I purchased didn't come with a large enough pan, hence the reason for looking to purchase one now.

Thanks also for the "taking off the heat" tip as well.

Pete

I'm sure you could make soup in any decent sized pan. If you want to splash out I'd go for a large Le Creuset or equivalent.

http://www.lecreuset.co.uk/cast-iron-round-casseroles.aspx

Pig Cat said:
I'm sure you could make soup in any decent sized pan. If you want to splash out I'd go for a large Le Creuset or equivalent.

http://www.lecreuset.co.uk/cast-iron-round-casseroles.aspx

There is a Le Creuset shop at my local outlet centre so may pop in and have a look.

Thanks

Tesco do a large stock pan for under £20 which is ideal if you make larger batches of soup. I have one and it works a treat, is easy to clean and after 5 years of heavy use still looks like new, if you only make a few portions at a time then any large pan or casserole dish will work just as well

antdad said:
You need to decide on the size.

Agreed.

Sorry to seem a bit vague on my requirements but with no intention of wanting to appear sexist, this was an area that my wife used to have a major input on, with my dabbling generally being limited to home made curries and the odd Cottage Pie.

As it is now just myself and two daughters; each of which have so far had a total input of which colour I should choose to match the kitchen decor, I'm a bit on my own with it!

Pete

My choice (which I made a couple of years ago) would be a pressure cooker. It doesn't have to be used as a pressure cooker, mine sees more use as a normal, large pan. I've always done all the cooking because I cook better than my wife does. I've been cooking for myself since I was a teenager.

There are only the two of us, in a small house, so I went for the Kuhn Rikon Duromatic Inox in five litre size. They come smaller and bigger. The Khun Rikon brand seemed to have better reviews overall than the other makes.

Since then the pan has seen a lot of soups, curries, chillies, stocks, etc. A few times I've even used it as a pressure cooker to cook veg, but I tend to use an electric steamer more for that.

If I had more room, I would like a larger one as well, for doing really big batches for freezing, but the 5l does most of what I want.

Sounds like you're doing the cooking then...well I'd go with the above advice (mine of course) which is to go stainless and as has been mentioned you should find something at Tesco which will suit. Go bigger than you think you need, no one usually regrets buying too large a pan and it'll allow you to cook extra for when you want to freeze stuff.

You pay extra for a better base which I think is worth another tenner or so i.e thicker means more even heat distribution (so less catching) but it depends on your budget.

mayhem72 said:
Tesco do a large stock pan for under £20 which is ideal if you make larger batches of soup. I have one and it works a treat, is easy to clean and after 5 years of heavy use still looks like new, if you only make a few portions at a time then any large pan or casserole dish will work just as well

They have a few pans at the moment where you save the vouchers and get them cheaper. Funnily enough we got a griddle pan today, next up they have a wok style pan.

Back
Top Bottom