Stock Pot/Soup Making Item

Greetings

My only observation is that with all non stick coatings, no matter how good they ar eand no matter how careful you are, the pan or pot will outlast the coating ten times over. So is it worth paying for the very most up market pot or pan with a non stick coating?

Regards
Dick.

I have a large, both height and width, stock pot. Not sure of the make. It isn't non stick, just pain stainless. I make large batches of soup/curry/Bolognese etc to freeze or chill in individual portions to take away for meals for the week in the wagon.

Norfolkdick said:
Greetings

My only observation is that with all non stick coatings, no matter how good they ar eand no matter how careful you are, the pan or pot will outlast the coating ten times over. So is it worth paying for the very most up market pot or pan with a non stick coating?

Regards
Dick.

You're absolutely correct and no in my opinion they aren't worth it although I haven't tried ceramic non-stick, when my Anolon skillet gives up the ghost as it's beginning to it'll be my last non-stick coated pan I ever buy. You might need to use a bit more fat in your cooking but ceramic coated or seasoned iron and certainly tinned copper will outlast any non-stick if used correctly.

My Analon advance non-stick saucepans are still OK after about eight years, apart from the frying pan which lasted about two years. I am fairly gentle with the saucepans though.

The only non-stick pans I've found any good are Scanpan. I have one of those that's seen action for ten years, doing high temperature stir frying that would ruin teflon. It's not exactly free-release like it was when new, but it's still pretty good (good enough for fried eggs not to stick) and has no coating damage. My smaller egg pan is still free-release.

Stainless steel (my pressure cooker and roasters are ss) is great, provided it either has a very thick base, or, even better, a thick copper or aluminium base insert. That, along with a large burner that heats the entire bottom, and getting the temperature up before putting food in, helps prevent sticking.

Copper is great but still needs a thick base and suitably large burner to give even heating without hot-spots. Tinned copper protects the copper surface from pitting if cooking acidic foods, but can melt easily if the pan is overheated accidentally.

Norfolkdick said:
Greetings

Regards
Dick.

I like my non-stick frying pan but with saucepans or stockpots I don't see the point as long as you don't regularly burn stuff.

Greetings

I have a high heat wok ring on my Britannia gas cooker and I am absolutely sure that it is heat not abrasion that destroys non stick.

I purchase a Tefal non stick wok and accept that if I use high heat it will be 'buggered' in 12 to 18 months, which at about 15 quid from the cheap shop is reasonable value for over a years hard work. My son purchased a top of the range wok costing £60.00 (the boy is an excellent amateur cook) and the non stick burnt off in exactly the same period of time, leaving a wok that had 20 years of life in it but had to go in the bin the same as mine!

If you are totally convinced that you can use only moderate heat than buy a non stick pot/pan if you want to sear anything on high heat either accept that non stick will only have a limited life span or go for an alternative.

These are of course just my views but just like shaving YMMV!

Regards
Dick.

Norfolkdick said:
I have a high heat wok ring on my Britannia gas cooker and I am absolutely sure that it is heat not abrasion that destroys non stick.

It is. PTFE (the chemical that teflon and the other simple coatings are made from) is a polymer that softens at higher cooking temperature. So, high heat, plus some abrasion (even just from food) will quickly spoil the coating.

Not only that, but other, harmful, chemicals used in the manufacturing process are thought to be given off at these high temperatures.

Personally, I think a teflon non-stick wok is daft, but even Ken Hom has his name to one!

Mild steel, get it hot, season it, non-stick!

FoxyRick said:
Personally, I think a teflon non-stick wok is daft, but even Ken Hom has his name to one!

I've just checked and our non-stick wok is actually a Ken Hom one. :icon_razz: I know that the ideal is a seasoned metal one but we've had this for a few years now and use it on a high heat perhaps once a fortnight. It has lasted well and shows only slight scuff-marks. It also gets used as a normal frying pan sometimes too. It's not for purists but it certainly has done the business for us. It's very easy to clean and can go in the dishwasher.

I have used a cast iron dutch oven for a long time. Its made by Lodge, has no coatings, looks like a cauldron, wont blow over in a big wind & it gets used for alot including the no nead bread on Tony's blog. Its got lamb shanks in it at the moment.....

Recommended.

Back
Top Bottom