Stopping the bleeding

Bigjohn said:
Paramedics won't stop the bleeding. I'm one and have just spent nearly an hour trying to sort my own face out lol. Didn't feel the need to call an ambulance though. Imagine the embarrassment. Lol

Ooo, that's worrying. Ok Plan B, call for a girl guide and get cookies as well as first aid.

I use an Ikon Slant with a Feather in it, I'm too scared to nick myself :icon_eek:

Cheers,
BR

If necessary I use Cosma liquid styptic which I bought from my barber.

Not sure if it's available outside Australia but it works a treat with a cotton bud applicator.

Basically this is how I do it at work.

I do the following after every shave and tend to find if the client has any "blood spots" it stops them straight away.

2 cold towels and the whole face rub of alum. At this point there should be no more blood. Really cold air from the hairdryer to dry and cool the face and then once its dry a generous splash of witch hazel.

This is then followed by more cold air till mostly dry.

I sometimes then use some talc on the clients face, this is mostly to make sure the face is clean as it will remove any loose hairs which may be on the face (you tend to find hair appears out the blue in a barbers) but it also helps in cooling the face.

Then some aftershave balm. Another quick blast of cold air to dry up and cool down further.

If there are some proper "cuts" (normally minor, I wouldn't say I have ever gashed anyone, lol) I use a styptic match after the witch hazel part as if you havent stopped the blleeding by that bit the match will definitly.

I do find though that if I think a cut is gonna cause me problems I tend to put a tiny bit of tissue on it while I get on and finish the shave. The tissue on the face even for those few minutes does work wonders and also makes things look neater as you work.

Anyway to this day (touch wood) using the above none of my clients have ever left the shop with any eveidence of any blood.

barberbob said:
Anyway to this day (touch wood) using the above none of my clients have ever left the shop with any eveidence of any blood.

I guess you don't work at the one and only barber's shop I have used for a shave then? I left looking pretty messy and with blood on my shirt!

What works for me:
1 Cold water rinse.
2 Witch hazel (Thayers non alcohol with aloe)
3 Alum block
4 Styptic pencil

Don't normally need any more than step 2. Can't remember the last time I needed to use the Styptic.

I use potassium permanganate crystals for my dogs nails when they move just as I am about to trim them. The last time it went from stuck pig to stopped instantly. Trouble is it will leave brown stains on you for the rest of the day!

Back
Top Bottom