Stretching the skin a bad idea?

I've always stretched my skin when shaving as a matter of habit. However the other day I shaved without stretching, finishing with ATG. The shave was 95% as close (DFS and a half, but not BBS) and it was much easier to avoid irritation.

Anyone else find this? People say stretchig the skin is essential so I wonder if I'm doing something wrong.

P.s. Sill contorting my face a bit to get the best angle.

Mild gurner here too.

Stretching shouldn't really be necessary with a D.E, the saftey bar of the razor does a little and there are enough techniques to get you close enough. IMO.

As I shave my cheeks I puff them out. I also stretch my skin a bit when using a straight, mainly to get my skin in to places that are easier to shave. For example I'll pull the skin around my adam's apple to each side so I don't slice the knobbly bit, also I pull skin from my jawbone upwards to where my cheek is so I shave on the flat. I have pretty stretchy skin though, bit like Rowan Atkinson I suppose. But I'm not in to high performance sports cars.

hunnymonster said:
No stretching here beyond some mild gurning.

Hah, that's a good way of putting things. I really don't see the need for a second helping hand either, although there's a few facial and neck (bullfrog) gyrations needed to smooth these damn wrinkles out.

Martin

I only stretch one area and that's the lower part of my right cheek. With a diagonal stroke it is always smooth. Only way to get this area perfect without stretching would be to go against the grain and it would burn like mad!

To pig cat: the 'puffing your cheeks out' brought back a memory from 40 yrs ago. I just remembered that my father use to do that when I saw him shave. Interesting how something like that can take you back so far. I'll have to try it.
Thanks

Johnus said:
To pig cat: the 'puffing your cheeks out' brought back a memory from 40 yrs ago. I just remembered that my father use to do that when I saw him shave. Interesting how something like that can take you back so far. I'll have to try it.
Thanks

Yes it's great. Keeps it all turgid.

Dipesh said:
PC, do you do the cheeks in the style of 'the master shavesmith'?

Yes and I make strange whining sounds as I shave too. Dat's an option. Yeah, dat's an option...

Beyond the kind of facial gymnastics mentioned above, skin stretching is probably not such a good idea with a DE razor because theoretically the safety bar should do that anyway. That's a case of do as I say rather than do as I do of course, but I do go very easy with it. Stretching is essential with a straight though.

Arrowhead said:
Beyond the kind of facial gymnastics mentioned above, skin stretching is probably not such a good idea with a DE razor because theoretically the safety bar should do that anyway. That's a case of do as I say rather than do as I do of course, but I do go very easy with it. Stretching is essential with a straight though.

How about an O/C SE then ???
Pete

Back
Top Bottom