strugling with honing

does it take a long time to set a bevel on a wedge that looks like it has never been honed

(the smallest grit stone ive got is norton 4/8 going to get 1k I think)

this is one of an identical pair I got on ebay.

they look like a wedge to me (my first) do they take a lot longer to hone?

[attachment=10426]
[attachment=10427]

ive got a selection of wet and dry from 60 grit upto 4k so ill try cleaning them up as well

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1399494019150.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1399494019150.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 52
  • uploadfromtaptalk1399494036660.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1399494036660.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 48
Setting the bevel on a wedge with a low grit of 4k is going to take...well I would throw the towel in!

Wedges are generally very frustrating to hone IMO, I use a 1k naniwa and that is a slow process.
Using 2 layers of tape can speed things along a little and remember to change the tape as it gets worn down.
I can't comment on wet a dry as I have never tried it.
I believe the King 1k hone is a good budget bevel setting hone to sort the wedges out ;)

Good luck.

As Jason said trying to set the bevel on a wedge with a 4K stone is certainly far from ideal and honing a wedge is not the perfect razor for anyone to starting to learn to hone with, for a start you will need 2 layers of tape on the spine at least and a good cheap alternative would be the King 1K stone

The good news is that what's there at the moment looks even and small. How long have you been at it?

To give you some idea of the task, I completely set a new bevel after breadknifing one of Mr Magnus's razors last week. It was a big blade with very uneven grinding and took probably 4 to 5 hours on and off before I got an edge. That was using a 500 grit Shapton but mainly 1000 grit stone. From what I can see, you don't need to go down as far as 500 but the 1k will speed things up.

I havent touched this one at all, I took a pic of the twin because its cleaner than the other identical wedge ive got.

(ive done 3 lots of lyns circle method with tape)

i stopped when I realised how little progress I was actually making so I went back to a 1/4 hollow.

the main reason I stopped was I noticed it was slightly more honewear on middle then toe or heel

Re: RE: strugling with honing

pugh-the-special-one said:
How many layers of tape did you use? A good starting point for wedge type blades are two layers you may need to go to three layers.

thanks guys for all your advice, I didnt use that much ill try 3 layers

I have a few wedges of various sizes. I've found two layers is good enough on some but one in particular needs the three. They all take while to get a decent edge on though. Just don't forget to change the layers regularly or you will end up with muck on your stones.

I've had three wedges in today for honing just spent three hours honing a big Wade & Butcher American Eagle with a smiling blade one of the most difficult razors I've ever honed If I had these in every week I would throw the towel in, but after three hours It did eventually take shape and produced a very nice edge.

Back
Top Bottom