Suit buying

joe mcclaine said:
My guess is we're posting answers to one of those whajamacallits, 'youff' or somesuch.

My advice is buy whatever One Direction are wearing.

Lol I'm not that young! In the over 25's category.

Grey is an 'on the fence' colour, navy/dark blue however passes for black when needed, great for all occassions. A good blazer (sports jacket) would be my default choice. Gieves & Hawkes start at £600, will last a life time, but don't push for a free shirt. In my case this led to a short but vigorous scuffle and me back on the high street.

Buy Highland Dress, those thrifty Jocks know a thing or two about looking good in a jacket and skirt that NEVER goes out of fashion.

I bought my kilt and jacket 8 years ago. Still looks as new as the day I bought it.

I have a black Argyll jacket and waistcoat (Baratha) which covers every occasion. Tie or bow tie are my choices for informal/formal.

Added bonus, the ladies always want to know ;-)

That's the truth Cyril, nothing looks smarter than a well fitted kilt. I tend to hire one though as trends and fashions change regularly and it's expensive to keep up. If you're not a regular suit wearer then hiring might be the way forward.
I got one (suit) from Next last year for an occasion, and it's probably out of fashion already.

Think I'll stick to a suit jacket and trousers, even though the wedding I'm going to is in the summer!

Would rather wear charcoal over navy/grey.

Fit is everything with suits!!
You could shell out £2000 on a designer suit but if the fit is wrong it will look bad.
Try TM Lewin on the high street as they will measure and tailor for free.
If budget, try Next. Good selection and lots of sizes to pick and choose from.

Yeah that's why I wanted to get measured up and stuff, an ill fitting suit looks so bad!

I won't be paying 2k on a whistle though, just want something that will look good on me, last a good while and be good for all occasions.

Will look into TM Lewin, there's a local store to me.

They've also said they don't do free tailoring? Just asked a sales person on the live web chat thing. Strange.

Last suit I got from there they did the trouser hems fro free. Might have to ask nicely!
I did buy a suit and 4 shirts though.
Do try Next though as the cut, style and selection were all good and I think £100 for a 2 piece.

ALSO.....
Take someone with you! Preferably a lady as they can give you a honest opinion!
The man in the shop selling to you will tell you it looks amazing when you look like Rab C Nesbit!

The guy who I was chatting with didn't seem to have a very friendly, helpful attitude. Maybe if I went into a store and asked in person they might be different.

Do Next do tailoring? Another place I thought about is Moss.

Haha that'd have to be my sister if its a lady. They seem to have a better eye for detail don't they.

DPTC

What area you in? what is your budget? I would suggest look at M&S sartorial range - i would get a black or navy - allows for greater wear - charcoal comes and goes based on seasons. i would then get snazzy with the shirt and tie and maybe a top pocket handkerchief

I would get a single breast with a single button low lapel design - again will prolong and avoid the changes in season.

For me avoid TMlewin overpriced for suits that you could buy in tesco. If budget is not a worry then go to a john lewis or house of fraser and grab a Simon Carter or Ted Baker suit - all will wear well and have classic cuts and designs.

I also rate charles Trywitt - you can order online and their slim fits are quote roomy and good for the cuddlier amongst us. they are good suits if you want to stick to a budget. i spend my life in suits and have been through everything from Saville row and custom to off the peg and have to be fair the best investment i made last year were the trywitt suits. If you look after them you will get good wear.

I travel and wear a suit everyday so have spent half my life researching what works and what doesn't :)

hope that helps and before i am crucified for any opinion shared here - i will say this is just my view :)

also forgot to say if you register with quidco and order online from charles trywitt you can get a 8% off code and i think 10% cashback.

In London. So everything is pricey! Haha.

I have a wedding to go to this summer so I'm guessing it'll be very hot. Last weekend of August!

I would like to get it tailored to fit properly, not sure if I'll get into a slim fit suit the way I've been eating haha.

Budget is around £300, can go down a few quid too.

Back
Top Bottom