Superhot peppers

Hiya,

I know there's gotta be a bunch of members who enjoy the burn that comes from eating really hot peppers and the like. Not being into that myself, the last I heard the Scotch Bonnet and habanero pepper had a fair bunch of heat but those things are outdated now.

Yep, turns out the hottest craze is the craze for the hottest. Hotter the better, which is where these designer peppers come into play. This article and some of the links included was a real interesting read about something I would never do to myself. There's a link about some sauce called 'The Source'.......7 million Scoville units. Isn't that a bit much?

Anyway, here you go: http://modernfarmer.com/2013/04/growing-pain/

The Source is made up of concentrate to get to 7mill scovilles. I believe the current world record is for the hottest pepper is the "Trinidad Scorpion" - Butch T strain, grown in Australia. It came in at over 1.4million on the scoville scale.

I tried to grow the Trini Scorps...no success. I am having success with some 7 Pot Yellows. These are a super hot & also from Trinidad. The story goes, one pepper is hot enough to season 7 pots.

Yesterday I put my crop of 7 pots into a mash with Mango, Blood Orange, Kiwi fruit, sweet potato, onion & ginger. This will ferment for 45-60 days then boiled & run thru the blender then bottled as hot sauce.

The hottest I've had are the Scotch Bonnet, which I made into a pepper sauce, but obviously there are much much hotter out there. I haven't made any in quite a while so got me thinking about growing some, just had a look on worldofchillies.com, some great sounding chillies I think I'm gonna have to try!

Fozz,

I grow my own too. Make sauce etc as I have my own brick built smoker and am a big fan of BBQ food I am forever making new sauces.
I've got some brilliantly hot seeds if you'd like to try?
I brought them back from Bangladesh a few years ago and are supposedly true Nagas. Certainly hotter than the Dorset's I last had.

Let me know if you'd like a packet.

Alex

I don't know how anyone can eat stuff like this.

I went through a real chilli phase a few years ago and bought a bottle of Blairs Mega-Death Sauce. Even the tiniest bid was borderline inedible. I had to give it to a mate who has the nickname 'Asbestos'!

The final nail in the coffin was when I had a curry made with Naga chillis. It was hot but very tasty but I almost shat myself on the way in work (this is a true story) and had to make a desperate detour into a primary school halfway into work (this is the middle of the South Hams, there is no MacDonalds or anything like that) before I ruined my mate's car seat.

Unsurprisingly this still gets mentioned several years on!

Bechet45 said:
Are you thinking of selling any of those bottles, fozz77? At least one of them, anyway. I'd love to give your sauce a try! Sounds real, man!

Not this batch Bechet45. I had a late start to the growing season & as a result a small crop of peppers. I will overwinter my best plants & should have a better season next year.

Avionyx said:
Fozz,

I grow my own too. Make sauce etc as I have my own brick built smoker and am a big fan of BBQ food I am forever making new sauces.
I've got some brilliantly hot seeds if you'd like to try?
I brought them back from Bangladesh a few years ago and are supposedly true Nagas. Certainly hotter than the Dorset's I last had.

Let me know if you'd like a packet.

Alex

I would love to try to grow some of these peppers Alex. I too am a BBQ foodie.

Denzle, the Ghost pepper is in the superhot bracket. They're all bloody hot, however, the intensity/duration of the "burn' differs as does flavour, believe it or not. I have not had any ghost peppers but i have tried Trini Scorps & they have smokey flavour. The 7 pots i have have fruity flavour.

Bhut Jolokia = Ghost pepper http://home.comcen.com.au/seedco/nagas.htm

I'm sure the chilli heads have heard all this before but for those who don't...

pretty sure the Dorset Naga has been superseeded (sigh)

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/radio4/foodprog/foodprog_20130418-1256a.mp3

I planted all my seeds last week and have ordered a few plug plants for the coming year.
Last year was a good crop.
The best producers last year were a freebee from a Mexican restaurant we visited called Wahaca. They have these matchbooks that when opened contained seeds attached to cardboard spikes that you just stick into your earth.
The variety are called Serrano Chilis, a hardy plant that has a good yield and good heat (not over powering)
We have grown Nagas in the past and to be honest, it's the climate I believe that helps produce the heat as much as the variety.
We have got hotter chillis than Naga's from varieties like the small fruity Pumpkin Chilli & Super Chilli's when we grow them in our office.
Our office has excellent natural lighting and when we leave, the air con go's off and all the IT equipment heats the office to a very warm temprature that really brings out the heat in them chillis!

We buy our plug plants from here http://www.seaspringplants.co.uk/
Devils Rib, NuMex Twilights (Fantastic Colours) & Coffee Bean varieties on order for this year :)

What is left over from last years crop, we dry and grind for a lovely hot sprinkling pepper :D

Enjoy your chillis fella's!

Been considering buying half a dozen plug plants (Bhut Jolokia?). Unfortunately I have the kiss of death when it comes to anything pertaining to growing things. I am to gardening what Arthur Mullard was to ballet. Luckily my Butty has got facilities to grow these plants, apparently the chillies can take three months to fully grow, so in the future I shall be posting a request for any tips how to make a sauce out of them. ATB Denzle

Denzie, I bought an already fruiting planting from Sainsbury's for £3.50 last week and I tried an almost ripe fruit this morning, not sure what variety but it has nice flavour and is potent enough for my taste.

antdad said:
Denzie, I bought an already fruiting planting from Sainsbury's for £3.50 last week and I tried an almost ripe fruit this morning, not sure what variety but it has nice flavour and is potent enough for my taste.

Thank you kindly Sir. Never thought of looking in the supermarkets. I'll have a gander next shopping expedition. Cheers Mate.

If anyone's interested then later on I'd be more than happy to post up my recipe and pictures for my home made BBQ sauce using fresh home grown chillies?

Back
Top Bottom