Supermarket own brands

Hi,
I've noticed that in the UK, nearly all the national supermarkets and chemists sell an "Own Brand" DE razor blade, and they are often competitively priced. I don't think for a moment they manufacture their own, they must be re branded blades from the major manufacturers.
Do we as a forum know who sells what? I won't ask for which is best recommendations. If I've learnt one thing on this forum it's that each person has a preference and they are all different.

Regards,

Neil.

Don't Tesco re-brand Israeli made blades... let me dig out the name, it evades me.

EDIT: Israeli Personna

My understanding is that Boots and Tesco sell Personnas, they're blades I started with and not too shaby, though I prefer others these days I intend to try them again before too long to see how they compare now I've more practise..

Those Israeli Personna from Tesco (white box, black card with silhouette of a DE blade on it) also appear in the NHS supplies catalogue… a friend of mine running a medical study wanted 1000 of the light green plastic disposable DE razors that you find on ambulances (for shaving chest hair in a hurry) but he ordered the wrong item and got 1000 packs of these Personnas instead. It was only after about 4 months that he realised they were without handle and therefore no good to him, then he couldn't return them after all that time with no paperwork.

I think he sold them on eBay in the end as one job lot.

So to recap

Sainsburys - Dorco's
Superdrug - Dorco's
Asda - Personnas
Tesco - Personnas
Morrisons - Personnas
Boots - Personnas
Wilkinsons - lasers
Waitrose - German Wilkinson sword (larger branches expensive)

That seems to cover the major players, though more info will be gratefully received. Waitrose at the top end and Aldi at the other end don't seem to sell DE blades. As these are the only "High Street" outlets for DE blades left, It's important we know what's available if only for emergencies.
Personna are Israeli, I've heard of them, though not used one
Dorco I've not heard of. The ones in Sainsburys are labelled made in Vietman would that be correct?
Neil.

Pretty sure I saw some Dorco's in ASDA - perhaps they use more than one supplier? Sainsbury's are labeled made in Korea. The tesco blades are great for the price IMO

Omp said:
I've not seen any DE blades in my local Aldi. do any of the other discounters (e.g. Lidl, Netto) sell blades?

normally cheap cartridges

id imaginge the big stores can afford to have a box of blades in the back and sell 10 packs a week

My local Aldi only sells own brand cartridge razors and blades, god knows where they come from there's no clue on the packaging. I would have thought any store could afford to have a box of blades in the back and only sell 1 or 2 packs a week. they don't have a sell by date, so provided they are stored sensibly they'll be OK for years. It's not like they'll be tying a lot of capital up in stock!

Here's the updated list
Sainsburys - Dorco's
Superdrug - Dorco's
Asda - Personnas / Dorco's
Tesco - Personnas
Morrisons - Personnas
Boots - Personnas
Wilkinsons - lasers
Waitrose - German Wilkinson sword (larger branches, and expensive)

All the big chains review their suppliers regularly so this may be subject to change.

Back
Top Bottom