Synthetic Brushes

If the source concerns you, try the Horse. A renewable resource and the price in most cases is right. I have two that I use in rotation, usually with the harder soaps. They work very well for me.

Johnus said:
If the source concerns you, try the Horse. A renewable resource and the price in most cases is right. I have two that I use in rotation, usually with the harder soaps. They work very well for me.

is the hair softer or harder than badger?

Fido said:
Horse hair tips are prickly. But the hair produces great lather in a bowl and can be used to paint on in comfort.

Horse, for me at least, seemed to be between a badger and a boar in how it reacted when working it. The two I have possess a stronger backbone than badger, but somewhat softer at the tip than boar. They are an alternative for those who want a middle ground between badger and boar.

I find the body shop one is fine when travelling - as mentioned, instant drying, which is handy when moving on daily. I don't like it as much as my badgers, which is not that surprising, or even my Vulfix 404 bodger, but it does a perfectly acceptable job face lathering a La Toja stick under any conditions I've subjected it to.

GDCarrington said:
I am using a Franks Synthetic Brush and / or the same knot from TGN (23mm base) that I placed in an old Burma Shave brush handle after removing the original brush hairs. The brush as far as sensation is like a badger at the tips (soft) and a boar in terms of the ability of the fibers to remain stout and not go limp as some badger hair brushes do. This to me is the best of both worlds. These two inexpensive brushes are now my go to brushes and there are no performance differences between the two. I am rarely using any of my other brushes any more.

The one on the right is the Frank Synthetic and the one on the left is the same knot in the Burma Shave handle. Both cost less than $20USD (completed brush or parts to make the Burma Synthetic).

e4eaa530b1e4f9bfc18564e8c2a6ac0921351773460fdee191d0d7debc4c03456g.jpg

Did you have to enlarge the hole in the Burma for the TGN syn to fit or was it a direct fit?

Don't know if Mark, who started the thread, is still looking for one but following a very recent acquisition of the Jack Black synthetic (at something below 60 quid) my personal and subjective opinion is that the only synthetic I would use from now on with full confidence and real hopes it will do a good job is the new Muehle 'Silvertip' synthetic. This one is a nice brush (I have the 23mm knot version).

Have not tried the Body Shop one or an Omega synthetic, but from what I've read/heard they do not come as close.

Horse hair brushes are ok, I have the 'barbers professional edition' which costs 8-9 quid (Gifts&Care.com). It's doing a pretty nice job when bowl lathering, prickly indeed it is a bit but in my opinion nothing major to be alarmed about. A very floppy brush with long loft, not very dense knot but also with nice black hairs and a quite heavy wooden/metal handle.

Oh - and echo the GDC viewpoint on veganism. If tallow has to be in the soap and good quality badger hair in the shaving brush, as have been for decades, they should remain that way. There's a reason for everything mankind has done so far and that reason is primarily related to performance of a product or service. No disrespect against the environment or against a prosperous and 'sustainable' future for the generations to follow but for some things there's just no substitute.

N_Architect said:
Have not tried the Body Shop one or an Omega synthetic, but from what I've read/heard they do not come as close.

Just received an Omega 46150, imitation badger. Tried it this morning and was pleasantly surprised. I did not get a good bowl lather from it (but then I am a face latherer and it was the first time ;-)). It held a lot of water, so the lather in the bowl was too airy / wet. With some extra swirling I did manage to get it a bit better. But when I put the result from my bowl to my face and started face lathering with it, it worked very well. Used Klar Kabinett soap.

Wil said:
Just received an Omega 46150, imitation badger. Tried it this morning and was pleasantly surprised. I did not get a good bowl lather from it (but then I am a face latherer and it was the first time ;-)). It held a lot of water, so the lather in the bowl was too airy / wet. With some extra swirling I did manage to get it a bit better. But when I put the result from my bowl to my face and started face lathering with it, it worked very well. Used Klar Kabinett soap.

This morning I decided to face lather with it. Worked just fine. Will keep on using it like this.

Back
Top Bottom