Tallow and Steel

I've used a sample of 'Maya' from Shave Dash.

Performance was absolutely top notch, one of the slickest soaps I have used and the post shave was fantastic. A beautiful lather that is easy to produce - wonderful stuff. I would put it near the top of the pile of all the soaps I have used (I've used over 50 soaps and creams including high end MDC to XPEC, SV, B&M and UK artisans).

I wasn't a massive fan of the 'Maya' scent at first, but it's really grown on me. I pick up a lot of cocoa, cardamom and a hint of citrus.

My only issue with the soap is the price. It's expensive, especially when you factor in having to import from the US or Canada, and the poor exchange rate.

It's a great soap - but with Phoenix & Beau so readily available in the UK for a lower price point, I'm not sure that Tallow + Steel is worth the price. For me P&B is just as good.

Ignoring value for money, it's a great soap. One of the absolute best.

Try picking up a sample.

I must try one myself soon, but I'm always cautious of the hype, certainly it's getting great reviews, but as with a few other soaps they get hyped up because i don't know.. Maybe it's the hard to get problem that leads people to talk them up,
Maggards is a great site, I buy from there weekly and shipping is around £5 and takes a week and with no extra charges

If you fancy one, go on treat yourself.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I have experience of the old and new formulas - Rainforest and Boreal respectively. Since the former is extinct I'll refrain from commenting on that.

The new scents are all about trying to evoke a sense of place. These appear to be a bit hit-and-miss and reviews are a mixed bag. Boreal is strong, resinous and brash. I certainly couldn't use it everyday and I stored it with the container left open for the first week or two to try to tame it a bit.

The soap itself is soft and lathers easily. It performs similarly to L&L Grooming's base in that it is rich, slick, and moisturising. It's one of the 'new wave' of artisan soaps that doesn't contain coconut oil. There are a lot of 'conditioning' ingredients: Stearic Acid, Water, Organic Glycerin, Potassium Hydroxide, Tallow (Pasture-Raised), Essential Oils, Organic Argan Oil, Organic Pomegranate Seed Oil, Organic Macadamia Nut Oil, Organic Coconut Oil, Organic Avocado Oil, Organic Castor Oil, Bentonite Clay, Organic Tamanu Oil, Vitamin E, Silk.

The price is very high for the 113g of soft soap that you receive. I reckon a big Two Band badger could rip through a tub at a decent lick. That said, it's worth experiencing because it's clearly trying to push boundaries.

We can get to a point where we are like drug addicts in denial when we deep down know that there is a bar we keep trying to raise just a tad more. One more fix!! When that moment strikes I do one of two things: look for a sample or gander at my bag of current soaps and ask myself if it will really work any better than my current favorites. :oops:

I have the complete selection and I find all to be excellent. Most of the scents could use more refinement but the base is top notch. One of my best performers.

The toners are fabulous as well, however there is an ingredient there that causes me some irritation. This is most obvious with West Indies.

Hello, I have just ordered two T&S "Boreal" & "West Indies" would have ordered Maya but out of stock for a few weeks, so waiting for delivery, slightly more expensive than say Wickham's, P&B, OSP and Stirling, will see how they compare with regard to lathering, slickness and post shave feel, will also be interesting to see how the scents work, personally, I also purchased these as I liked the design of the lids, hopefully all of the contents agree with my skin, once I've tried them out, will give an update.

Back
Top Bottom