tallow content warning code?

I was reading a 5-6 year old thread on Palmolive sticks on a different forum, and someone made a comment that the Australian made Palmolive stick was 100% veggie based, and that the European made one was tallow based.

But that the only way to tell them apart is a code on the bottom of the box.
Supposedly "Gut 2/2"

In the thread it was considered "common truthful knowledge" and was never explained. I got curious and looked at my cella and erasmic packages, and there was no code to say "warning has tallow in it".

So I am just asking if this was bullshit...

not a lot, got a lot of error messages for photos..

well perhaps this is better,

is the Palmolive on the shelves today made from melted down cows and pigs and sheeps?

Thats a different question. Your original question was is Gut 2.2 code bullshit and you looking on Cella tub to see if the code was on that.

If all you want to know is does Palmolive contain tallow then just ask...the ingredients are on Amazon

Ingredients
Potassium Hydrogenated Tallowate Sodium Tallowate Sodium Cocoate Aqua Glycerin Parfum Olea Europaea Elaeis Guineensis Tetrasodium EDTA Tetrasodium Etidronate BHT Butylphenyl Methylpropional Citronellol Coumarin Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde Limonene Linalool CI 11680 CI 12490 CI 74260 CI 77891

Last edited:
Does it really matter?
Let me explain and solve this problem: Go to any Supermarket, buy a Palmolive stick and look at the ingredients briefly and use the stick, if you like it then no problem. If you think it lathers good but you don't like the smell or anything else then chuck it in the bin as its only 50p, If you have an allergic type reaction after using it, then bin it. it is not a big deal because it is only 50p.

Anything cosmetic (like shaving soap) and just about everything else sold in the EU has to have a full list of ingredients, and shaving soaps that I've had from the USA also bear what appears to be a comprehensive list. Most of us aren't analytical chemists or suchlike, so, like me, would be pretty stumped to say exactly what " Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehy" may be. However, ingredients containing the words "tallowate" or "cocoate" would suggest to me that the concoction in question contains tallow- or coconut-derived substances.

Also in Australia they have a Colgate shave stick if I am not wrong. I know Colgate-Palmolive is together but I remember seeing it on e-bay, the price of the stick was cheap but the postage was bit steep.

Also in Australia they have a Colgate shave stick if I am not wrong. I know Colgate-Palmolive is together but I remember seeing it on e-bay, the price of the stick was cheap but the postage was bit steep.
colgate stick, that supposedly went the way of the dodo with ww2...

Oddly I DID see an amazon seller with an add selling Palmolive classic men shave stick, and it did have the big Gut 2,2 label on the dark green box.

Australia might just be hot on that as they have a vegemite version of marmite which just tastes a bit milder and marmite down there is called our mate.

Marmite is a vegetable product, derived from yeast. I live not far from a well-known East Anglian brewery which, for years, sold brewing by-product to them for making it. They also fed the "spents" to the pigs on their farm, which were advertised as "Adnams Pigs are Happy Pigs".

Some thread-drift here, I think.

Marmite is a vegetable product, derived from yeast. I live not far from a well-known East Anglian brewery which, for years, sold brewing by-product to them for making it. They also fed the "spents" to the pigs on their farm, which were advertised as "Adnams Pigs are Happy Pigs".

Some thread-drift here, I think.
I didn't realise Adnams supplied the yeast too. I knew some of the Burton breweries did (Marstons?) and Marmite was made close by.

I like that a by product of one of my favourite things can be used to make another.

Adnams beers especially.

Marmite is a vegetable product, derived from yeast.

D'oh of cause it is, good for veggies and vegans
Thanks for noticing my stupid mistake.
<<<< Hanging head in shame
I blame that one on sleep deprivation.

And sorry the thread drift was my fault too.
I'll try to remember to focus on the original post and not divert the thread in a different direction in future.

Last edited:
Quote;
"The Palmolive with the GUT 2,2 is made in Germany and should have Tallow listed as the first ingredient. The GUT 2,2 is some type of German rating that I'm not familiar with enough to explain. There is another version of the Palmolive stick that is made for the Australian market that does not have the GUT 2,2 wording and Tallow is listed as the third ingredient.

Guys that have used both say the German version is better. I've only used the GUT 2,2 version and it is very good."

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/palmolive-shave-stick.30271/

I didn't realise Adnams supplied the yeast too. I knew some of the Burton breweries did (Marstons?) and Marmite was made close by.

I like that a by product of one of my favourite things can be used to make another.

Adnams beers especially.

Unfortunately, they no longer do so. That arrangement went the way of Broadside Park Farm, whose Happy Pigs vacated it in 2001 when Adnams sold it, and the horse dray deliveries, which ceased when the distribution Centre moved out of Southwold.

The brewery is even more recyclable and eco-friendly now, but that was a damn fine joint of beer-fed pork.

Unfortunately, they no longer do so. That arrangement went the way of Broadside Park Farm, whose Happy Pigs vacated it in 2001 when Adnams sold it, and the horse dray deliveries, which ceased when the distribution Centre moved out of Southwold.

The brewery is even more recyclable and eco-friendly now, but that was a damn fine joint of beer-fed pork.
That's a shame.

Funnily enough, I did their brewery tour a few months ago and they are super efficient and near enough everything gets recycled. It was also eerily devoid of people as everything is now automated, which I found a bit sad, but to be expected I suppose.

Anyway, apologies for straying off topic.

Back
Top Bottom