Tallow soap minus pigfat.

A full-bearded Moslem friend of mine has decided to shave his neck once in a while and has sought my advice.
I intend giving him a razor and synthetic brush, and because he is a beginner I would like to start him off with a tallow soap because of ease of lathering and the extra protection.
I suppose you are already ahead of me by now, but the question is do we know of a tallow soap that is absolutely free of pigfat.
This is a really nice guy whom I have known for years and I don't want to :!: this up.
Nominations please.

Do a quick check of the INCI nomenclature -- that should tell you whether tallowate may include hog fats. My guess is that tallowate explicitly excludes hog fat, since there is an explicit category in INCI for that: lardate...

Now whether manufacturers actually honor those requirements up to that point is open for debate -- I would suggest that the only way to be absolutely sure is to either ask the individual manufacturers, or go with a vegetable-only soap. There are a number of potential vegetable only formulae that can yield a good-to-excellent shaving soap. If you are really paranoid, you'd also have to check the source of any individual fatty acids (stearate, palmitate, myristate). Those will normally be derived from vegetable sources these days, but again, no guarantee can be given, based only on the ingredient list...

Henk

Personally, assuming he knows nothing of soap, I wouldn't mention it. Tallow gives great shaves and who knows what's made from what these days?

(In my experience many religious people are happy not to go looking for problems. Ignorance is bliss and so is Tabac.)

If he *does* know about soap and *is* concerned then a tub of Professor Henk's No. 5 would be my choice. Best non-tallow soap I've ever tried.

(And now I need some more . . . :roll: )

I would have thought that MWF is the one true answer to this query except that it contains lanolin rather than tallow which is guaranteed sheep juice.

antdad said:
I would have thought that MWF is the one true answer to this query except that it contains lanolin rather than tallow which is guaranteed sheep juice.

I may never be able to use MWF again without giggling to myself about sheep juice, I know not why that has tickled me but it has..

Rev-O said:
Is MWF an easy enough lather for a noob?
I wouldn't have thought so, with a synthetic brush. At the risk of being accused of having an interest in the business (I don't), I think that this vegetarian option might fit the bill:

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=368" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=33&t=368</a><!-- l -->

It does, of course, contain goat juice. :?

Personally, assuming he knows nothing of soap, I wouldn't mention it. Tallow gives great shaves and who knows what's made from what these days?

(In my experience many religious people are happy not to go looking for problems. Ignorance is bliss and so is Tabac.)quote]

:shock:
didn't expect that answer from a man of the cloth, bad show old man :(

if Antons friend ever did find out, imagine the consequences.
best to stick to a palmate soap or a cream

I agree with Pete, steer clear of the Tallow and get a proven vegetable soap.No issues to worry about.

antdad said:
Why soap SP ? I think I might consider a tube of cream for a starter pack that would be very easy to lather.

I think I am beginning to agree - after all the responses advising me to drop the idea of tallow I shall probably donate my last tube of Jordanian Erasmic, assuming that anything produced in an Islamic country would be pigfree.

Thank you all for your responses, and if anyone does hear about a pigfree tallow I would still be interested.

SirPrize said:
I think I am beginning to agree - after all the responses advising me to drop the idea of tallow I shall probably donate my last tube of Jordanian Erasmic.

There is still quite a bit of the Jordanian Erasmic around. If you are having problems finding more let me know.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom