Taylors of Bond Street Bay Rum AS

250ml for £17:95
(or £9 in the half price sale).

What they say:
Taylor of Old Bond Street Bay Rum - The infusion of genuine bay leaves with rum creates a spicy, rich and exotic elixir that can be used as either as an after-shave or a cologne and even as a splash on body fragrance.
Enjoyed by men of all ages around the world.

What I say:
First impression in the initial seconds as you pour some out is pure bay and not a lot else. But once you splash it on, it transforms. It's spicy, warm, delicious, even unctious. There are big hits of cloves with a feint citrus hint... smells a lot like Morgans spiced rum in fact, vanilla spiceyness, tasty stuff, and the old fashioned smell you're looking for from bay rum. I could go for this.
There's a let down 20 minutes later. I can't smell it any more, and I ask my partner (who has just walked in the room) if she likes it but she can't pick anything up. Literally nothing. Maybe it was the busy room we were in? I give her a fresh splash on her hand to try, and she loves it. It fades away soon after. On this balance, I'd probably not be too shy to use it as a body splash, if it weren't this expensive.

Pros: Awesome smell initially. Manly, old school. Great and satisfying end to a shave.
Cons: Fades too quickly. Very expensive for such a short hit of fragrance.

I'd love to hear anyone else's ideas, both positive and negative about this product.

I tried this product last year, although it is a spicy Bay Rum, I think there are better versions available. I didn't really like the plastic bottle either to be honest.
If you look through the threads on here you will see reviews on other versions of the Bay Rum family. In my opinion, one of the very best is our our own Sunburry Boys Bay Rum. I won't review that again here, but the packaging is better, the price is much lower, and the product is superior.

Yeah I've read the review of Sunbury's just now. I agree that the TOBS packaging is shocking, very bargain basement for something that comes from somewhere with such tradition... shame.

I've finished off my shave with this tonight, again I loved it and it was a wonderful end to proceedings, but after an hour, it's all but gone.

To add insult to injury my Ogalalla hasn't arrived in the post either.

All in all, 6.5 out of ten. It would be 9 if it had better packaging and longevity.. room for improvement.

When I finally come off shift in the week I fill five 100ml bottles and put them on the B/S/T for whoever is interested may I add it's real bay rum not artificial scented stuff. It's all natural. And also in regards to staying power. NONE I have used last long. More of a splash than a cologne :D :D

I don't think any bay rum claims to be a cologne to be fair, but you expect even a splash to last more than half an hour. A couple of hours would be nice.

Depends how it's made. If you want real traditional bay rum it's rum cloves bay etc etc it wont last long
But smells great. Or you can get the mass produced ones with perfumers alcohol. Colouring synthetic bay rum smell. Preservatives etc etc that is just a modern aftershave with synthetic smell

I prefer the real thing. I could make it last longer by adding lots of essential oils but I want the proper stuff

It's a nice spicy Scent after the shave that I don't think should last long
That's what we have edt and cologne for

I will send out some 10ml samplers next week. People can make up their own minds
;) :shave

Back
Top Bottom