Teach Me About Turkish Coffee

Whilst watching an episode of Blindspot, some nippy wee bugger of an internal affairs chappie was drinking Turkish coffee. Now I've heard of it before and had a brief look into it. You need an Ibrik or Turkish coffee pot, I understand, and the proper coffee. However, I thought I'd ask you good fellows on here as although I'm mainly a tea supper, I've noticed there is a wealth of coffee drinking experience amongst our membership as well as good citizens from around the world. Better to get it from the horses mouth, as it were.

So then, what's the craic? What's good, what's not? What's a good starting point? Will it blow my head off? C'mon, batter up, hit me with it.

I mostly drink Turkish coffee, one per day with milk in about 2dl cup.
It is maid simply, putting full teaspoon of milled coffee for 0,75dl of hot water and let it boil again, or more depend of how strong you want it.
It is pretty strong , most foreign people that have tried couldn't drink it, was too strong for them.

Hmm, I think I'm going to give this a miss but many thanks for the replies. It'll probably skelp my nerves into next year never mind next week and I've only just started being able to drink proper tea again.

Its simple! You will need a pot (not necessery the special one), watter and fine millded coffee.
In generali for one person you will need one full teaspoon of coffee and around 2ml of watter
Put watter in pot and wait untill boiled. Remove from fire. In boiled water put a coffee, stire and put back on fire. You may Repeat it 2 or 3 times. Enjoy!
Give it a try.

I drink about 2-3 250ml Turkish coffee cups per day. It's common over here, in Romania, in the household, most of us do it this way. In bars, mostly espresso, but at home, Turkish. I tried home filters, but they just don't do it for me. I feel that the coffee taste is not good enough.

My favorite type is this one:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jacobs-Kr...119930?hash=item4aff23db7a:g:Dx4AAOSwFnFV9TVH

I find Turkish coffee to take more of the aroma of the coffee and put it in your mouth. :)
The filter one is kinda weak, so you don't get that strong coffee taste, while the espresso is stronger, you get the "kick", but not too much flavor.

Now, how do I do it, is pretty simple. I put around 300 ml of water to boil in an "ibrik". Once the water starts boiling, I add a teaspoon of sugar. I stop the stove, and immediately after I add two full teaspoons of coffee, and I give it a swirl.

Another method is to add the coffee before the water starts boiling. You can even boil it for a minute or so. I personally like the previous method more. Found out that it's as strong in any of them.

You can add sugar afterwards, you can add more. That's just how I do it every day.

The "ibrik" is not important. You can do it with a normal pot or a kettle that have enough room so you can add the coffee and then give it a swirl. You need a bigger one than the quantity that you are preparing. Once you add the coffee into the hot water, it will expand and you can make a mess all over your stove if you have too small of a pot.

@pjgh did you try to make turkish coffee?

Yeah, I've got a pack of the Mehmet Efendi, an ibrik, even a nice Ottoman styled cup with porcelain inner.

It took me two or three goes to understand just where to put it on the flame and then a couple more to dial in getting the coffee to grow without growing too fast (or boiling). Slowly does it and it'll have a superb, tight, foamy crema.

So, for the last week or more I've been enjoying a cup each morning to get me started with the day ...

I sweeten with palm sugar and have just the right amount in from the beginning, let the coffee settle after pouring and it's not at all gritty; the coffee grounds settle to the bottom in a hard pack.

Yeah, I'm a fan!

After dinner, a couple of times late evening I have enjoyed a cup poured over Amaretto :D

In fact ...

IMG_3424.JPG

Yeah, I've got a pack of the Mehmet Efendi, an ibrik, even a nice Ottoman styled cup with porcelain inner.

It took me two or three goes to understand just where to put it on the flame and then a couple more to dial in getting the coffee to grow without growing too fast (or boiling). Slowly does it and it'll have a superb, tight, foamy crema.

So, for the last week or more I've been enjoying a cup each morning to get me started with the day ...

I sweeten with palm sugar and have just the right amount in from the beginning, let the coffee settle after pouring and it's not at all gritty; the coffee grounds settle to the bottom in a hard pack.

Yeah, I'm a fan!

After dinner, a couple of times late evening I have enjoyed a cup poured over Amaretto :D

I am very that you like yours turkish coffee! In Croatia is very common to drink it, but everybody has their own way of doing it. If you ever comes in Croatia, ask some of locals to made one for you! ;)

There is lots on Youtube. It seems every village has their own recipe, so apart from some general guideline, there is little right or wrong? I am told lighter roast is best - certainly seems that way in my limited experience.

From my very limited experience, which is largely putting the term "turkish coffee" into eBay and then into YouTube, I found myself with a packet of Mehmet Efendi which appears by far the most popular.

I go with one heaped teaspoon and an espresso cup of cold water into my ibrik and it takes a mere couple of minutes in total to warm through and then "grow". Pour off the foamy top, return to the heat and pour off the remainder. Let it sit for 30 seconds or so before sipping. Cleanse palate first with a swig of water - fizzy, for me.

I tried it first in a small milk pan, but brewing just one tiny cup was not satisfactory in such a large pan. Buying in the ibrik as well is the right thing to do. I went with an extra small, which is just on the small side for one espresso cup - fill about 2/3 full to allow for the growth of the foam. Buying again, I'd go with the small size as I do like a larger espresso and my cup full.

I bought my clobber from turkish-zone (UK) and the cup from turkishhomegoods (Turkey). The cup is small - it's actually correct for the extra small ibrik. I don't actually use it much as I like a larger cup and so Italian style espresso cups are my usual. If you're going for the full Turkish experience, the extra small ibrik with one of those cups will do well, otherwise go for the small sized ibrik for Italian style espresso cups.

How's that?

Ha! Just picked up a Croatian Turkish-style coffee from Lidl. 100g bag for 89p. It's 1001 Delights/Kava brand.

Thats some Lidl brand, dont know which croatian coffee is that. In Croatia week ago was Orient week and I saw that 1001 Delights brand for the first time.

Coffee for turkish style need too be very, very fine.

Back
Top Bottom