The Bodyshop Synthetic Shave Brush

I used to have a Body Shop synthetic, it's cheap but really not up to the job in my opinion. A better option would be the hjm MÜHLE synthetic which isn't that expensive, or a horse hair brush as discussed previously.

Going to go for a horse hair brush, have looked at the Vie Long one's which look very good and fair good on reviews.

Came across a Turkish site which claims to sell horse hair, but has actually turned out to be boar, guess that's something I'll have to watch out for

I've used the Body Shop brush over the years, but the last one I had fell apart. Edwin Jagger make synthetic bristle brushes, and I use one pretty much everyday and get a good lather from it.

What about and erasmic pure bristle brush there no more than £4ish I am only suggesting as i have never used this brush but am thinking of getting one for traveling, as I dont mind losing a £4 brush rather than a £30 super badger

Thanks for those links Jon ill check them out.

What would people say a reasonable price for a brush is, having never bought one before I have no clue at all. The Vie Long ones on giftsandcare range from £10 up to £30, but in comparison to Badger £30 for a brush is very cheap ?

Deckchair_Blue said:
Going to go for a horse hair brush, have looked at the Vie Long one's which look very good and fair good on reviews.

Came across a Turkish site which claims to sell horse hair, but has actually turned out to be boar, guess that's something I'll have to watch out for

The Vie-Long Horsehair are great brushes. Its all I use now.

Tried the Bodyshop synthetic. terrible brush, its now gathering dust in a drawer.

You eat bacon, DB? If so then what is the problem with a boar brush? I admit to having spells where the use of a badger brush upsets me morally as I'm a lover of our native wildlife and don't see how a Chinese meles meles being slaughtered is different to our own being culled. I do love using them though but every now and then these feelings gnaw at my gut and pray upon my diseased mind.

Gairdner said:
You eat bacon, DB? If so then what is the problem with a boar brush? I admit to having spells where the use of a badger brush upsets me morally as I'm a lover of our native wildlife and don't see how a Chinese meles meles being slaughtered is different to our own being culled. I do love using them though but every now and then these feelings gnaw at my gut and pray upon my diseased mind.

I can't be labeled as one of the sandal wearing brigade but I had a go with my first synthetic brush this evening and it surprised me! It was a lot better than I thought. It was a Vilfux No.1. I got it from Jacob of Walkers in a three brush sale. It won't be my go to brush but it will get an airing now and then.

Scott.

Deckchair_Blue said:
Thanks for those links Jon ill check them out.

What would people say a reasonable price for a brush is, having never bought one before I have no clue at all. The Vie Long ones on giftsandcare range from £10 up to £30, but in comparison to Badger £30 for a brush is very cheap ?

Depends on your definition of reasonable and the type of brush.

You can get decent lather and a comfortable experience if you paint your lather on with many brushes which sell for less than £10. If you want to face lather with scrubby motions you will need to pay more for extra comfort. You should find what your seem to want within the £10 to £30 range.

After doing some further research (prompted by gairdner's comment) I have realised my ethical concerns are unfounded, i, probably like many people, assumed that badger brushes were made from the badger pelt then the rest is discarded, and didn't realise it is a bye-product of the far-east meat trade, much like leather with beef.

So I shall be popping along to Fidos shop with my newly expanded mind fully assured :)

Back
Top Bottom