The Cheap Chinese vs the Classic Tech

I kicked off shaving with a £10 Jagen David from Amazon (see here). In the intervening 3 weeks I researched, hankered after, and order a Gillette Tech. The Gillette Tech, I read, is the everyman of DE shaving. No-one speaks an ill word. It's mild, good for starters, yet referred to fondly by the experienced shaver.

Your first three weeks on DE razors involves a lot of learning. By the time my Tech arrived, I'd made most of my major mistakes, and started to shave at a decent if not expert level.

When my Tech turned up, here's what I was struck by. My Chinese Jagen David (for that's what I understand them to be), looked a hell of lot like a Tech copy. The major observations were:

1. The Tech had a far more satisfactory look and feel, less plastic in the handle, and more weight in the head of the razor.

2. The Jagen David showed a little more blade; it was just that fraction more aggressive.

3. The Tech gave a milder, smoother, shave, but the Jagen David was not disgraced by comparison.

If you put a good quality handle on the Jagen David, you'd have a decent razor. However, it cost me £10 on Amazon. Add a decent handle and you're up for another £15 at least (I'm not suggesting an exceptional handle). Whatever the amount, by the time you've fine tuned the Jagen David, well, then you've bought yourself a Tech on eBay for £15 depending on condition, and my Tech is in immaculate nick.

So, here's the point. The Jagen Davis is not an all together bad option for a first razor. But given that for a few quid more you can find yourself owning a Tech, then why not. My Tech is decades old, and there's something about owning a classic piece of equipment that has lasted the ages and will continue to do so that is worth far more than the few extra quid you may pay.

Funnily enough, the Tech is milder than the Jagen David, so it feels in some respects a step backwards (although, a good mild shave is a good shave, so who's going backwards). I wonder if our attitude to Chinese products at the moment is the same as existed towards Japanese products back in the 70s (ie, referring to them as Jap Crap, only to find that they had developed the most sophisticated quality processes in the world in many manufacturing areas which we all ignored for 10-20 years).

I think the major difference here is that the Tech I have has lasted for 40+ years already, and shows every sign of doubling that innings, whereas the Jagen David's handle may struggle to make it past 2+ years.

I need to try a Merkur HD. Ahead of that, my sense is that every newbie should be required by shaving convention to buy a Tech to get going, because you can't go wrong with it. But if you can't do that, then a Jagen David purchase on Amazon to avoid the uncertainties of ebay is not the worst step a newby could take either.

[Still long term obsessed by a slant]

If you're talking about this Jagen David that can be found on amazon.uk, it's very likely a Chinese Rimei rebranded, that costs about 4€ on Deal Exteme or even cheaper on Ebay...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00NEVYV66/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c_x_1

The Rimei is not crap at all (just make sure you got a "good" one, with some kind of pins at each corner of the cap to align the blade). In fact, it might be the "best bang for the buck".

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Men-039-s...r-/400778837220?&_trksid=p2056016.m2516.l5255

$_35.JPG

Are you using different blades? The characteristics of a tech can alter depending which blade you use.
Yeah, I've been working it with a few blades - Gillette 7OC yellows, and Permasharps. It's a good shave, but mild as you like, even for a newbie. I am thinking of getting another sample pack that contains what are generally known as the sharper end of the blade spectrum to see what I can handle with it. I am getting a good shave out of it, but needing a 4th touch up pass to really get smooth. Although, I'm thinking that a 3rd pass that is more properly AGT may suffice.

It's oft stated, but this DE lark has made me really look forward to shaving in the morning.

I

Is that really a Tech? I've read elsewhere that the Gillette Tech finished production in the 1970s.

Well it's not called a Tech but a Sterling, however it's the same design and it's made by Gillette.
I have a 1940's travel Tech, a 1973 Aluminum one (from a Two Tix set) and the above Stirling, they shave the same, the head look the same. The materials no doubt will be different, I think my older version of the Tech is brass while the Sterling is Chromed plated brass of some sort.

Well, there's no need for us all to get overly "Tech"-nical here. If it looks like a duck, etc, etc.

There's a lot of talk about the set up cost of DE shaving. But with a Sterling at £5 including a few blades, a Wilko brush at £4, and a stick of palmolive at 75p, then you can get moving along for less than £10.

Yes, removing hair of one's face was never cheaper. Saying that the old fact that we are members here will negate this, if you are worry about money I would defo bury that credit or debit card somewhere safe.:rolleyes:

Yes, removing hair of one's face was never cheaper. Saying that the old fact that we are members here will negate this, if you are worry about money I would defo bury that credit or debit card somewhere safe.:rolleyes:
Yeah, I'm full of it. I talk about a £10 budget that I never even attempted to adhere to.

I

But given that for a few quid more you can find yourself owning a Tech, then why not. My Tech is decades old, and there's something about owning a classic piece of equipment that has lasted the ages and will continue to do so that is worth far more than the few extra quid you may pay.
Two words for yer. Slippery. Slope.

Useful review, thanks, I wondered how the "new" Asian manufactured razors performed. Too tight to buy one.

I'm just hooked on vintage razors and the Tech is a classic.

Regards,
Chris

Back
Top Bottom