In the time I've picked up this hobby again, I have accumulated a lot of razors, as have many of us. I've reached the stage where I can get a good shave from most of them. My roster includes or has included ATT M1/R1/H1/R2/S2, Mongoose, Feather ASD2, BBS1, Futur, DE89, Gillette NEWs, Techs, Aristocrats and Fatboys.

My intention was always to find the one true razor to rule them all, and then sell the rest. Several months ago, I started to make a concerted effort to find a Wolfman. I managed to trade for one, a dual comb aluminium jobby. I'd never wanted a light razor particularly, but it was all that was available on the second hand market, so I did the trade. It has been my main razor for several months now. There is no question that it has given me the best shaves I've ever experienced, comfortable and incredibly close, but it's so light that I don't really enjoy the process of using it. It's scritchy scratchy rather than being a smooth hair-mower. The obvious next move was to track down a stainless steel Wolfman.

Well I found one, and I've had it a week. This is an open comb polished steel beauty. It's heavy. It mows hair smoothly, unlike the aluminium one. However, I have been left red-raw from using it. Strange, because I can still shave with an ATT which is a similar weight.

I'm sure I'll get there in the end, but sometimes it seems as though perfection is impossible in this hobby.

I'm expecting my OC Wolfman today, have been using the SB version for a month or so and I must admit that I have a hard time reaching for any of my other razors. I do get the best shaves out of it when I use light handles.

Perfection is impossible in every single aspect of life. Sooner you stop searching the better.

That said, have you tried a Merkur 34c? Hardly a fancy modern stainless Wolfman or ATT but I've tried at least three different types of NEW, two OLD types, umpteen DE89s, a Slim Adjustable, several incarnations of Rocket and Superspeed and whilst the DE89 gave me very good results, the 34HD is the best of the lot. Paired with a Sputnik, Lab Blue, Perma Sharp Super or vintage English Wilkie, it takes some beating. It was the razor my now sadly deceased mate Ian told me to get first. Wish I'd listened and that he was still around to tell me, "I told you so..."

Perhaps your Wolfman technique will improve? More practice required.

If I stopped searching for perfection, I'd have nothing to do :)

It's got to have something to do with pressure, I'm sure. I did try the aluminium handle on the stainless head, and it seemed better, so I may explore lighter/shorter handles a little.

My experience with the ATT R2 was that it was a bloodbath for a while until I got the hang of it. Now I can't understand what the problem was. Hoping this happens with the Wolfman.

Be very interested to hear how Snuff gets on with the OC after the SB.

Have you tried the Standard? I'm a complete fanboy for this modern razor, even though I love the look and feel of vintage razors - the Standard is a brilliant addition, for me it's Hoffritz class.

Thanks for all the comments.

At this point, I wouldn't be looking to add other razors to my collection. I really just want to get the steel Wolfman working as well as the aluminium Wolfman.

And yes, perhaps I like golf clubs more than golf :)

May I ask, you mention the wolfman being used for several months? Is this the longest period of single razor use?

Reason I ask is all the razors you mention are superb razors going by reviews, so perhaps its a matter of technique?

Ah just seen Vinny's analogy.

I would say so, yes. In the last 6 months, I've been playing with lots of razors, so nothing has had a long period, apart from the aluminium Wolfman. I can get a pretty comfortable and close shave from any razor in my collection, except the steel Wolfman at the moment.

The only one that gives a truly superb 3-pass shave is the aluminium Wolfman.

Always happy to consider that my technique needs improvement, but recently I've felt like I could shave with any razor and do quite well.

Get on a plane and go a long way east, Wintoid. You'll find shaving nirvana without even trying. In the meantime, practice patiently and observantly - all skills take time to perfect.

Let Her guide you.

Oh! which reminds me - if it is still cached - got this as an encouragement to start Tweeting - Bello Dominican natural Bay Rum aftershave. No! that's not it. Here it is - while humanity tumbles into oblivion let's reminisce about a time when all of God's creatures were in perfect harmony. You gotta wonder, is any one that old? Before the apple?

In the time I've picked up this hobby again, I have accumulated a lot of razors, as have many of us.

My intention was always to find the one true razor to rule them all, and then sell the rest.

I'm sure I'll get there in the end, but sometimes it seems as though perfection is impossible in this hobby.

Hi there,

Through lots of trial and error/culling the herd over the years there's two DE razors in the rotation that fit me best for everyday shaving. It's the head design that does the trick and no other razors are made like my favorite Fatboy or Stahly versions. I would say they are about perfect for my schtick.

They get wet 90% of the time, with fun others in the other shaves mix. No shortage of things to change pace with for an excellent but not quite perfect shave.

Martin

This is probably a dumb and obvious thing to say, but you've tried different blades in your ss Wolfman, right? Sounds a bit like you could use a less aggressive blade for that particular razor.

This is probably a dumb and obvious thing to say, but you've tried different blades in your ss Wolfman, right? Sounds a bit like you could use a less aggressive blade for that particular razor.

Not dumb at all :) I'm trying other blades, yes. I usually use a Feather in the aluminium Wolfman. Currently got a GSB in the steel one. I am getting there, gradually.

Back
Top Bottom