The Fatboy

Gillette Fatboy

Lets get the obvious out the way...its an American 50's icon and like cars of that era it prefer's a straight
highway rather than a mountain pass, but who shaves when they are driving anyway?
Its heavy, over engineered and becoming increasingly more expensive to find on the auction sites.
This particular fatboy is known as an Executive as it is gold plated, some have different knurl patterns on the handle
but other than that I don't think there are any other differences.

thefatboy.jpg

I own a few other adjustables and this is the one I always turn to if I want a safe stress free shave .
It's built like a safe (~80g) and will no doubt last another 50 years but I love it for that, it is not as well proportioned
as it's younger brother the Slim but it is the only razor I own that I can use with very little or no added pressure.

The handle is just right with enough girth and knurl for a comfortable grip, it's top heavy like most razors but that heft means you can
hold it between your'e fingertips and lean it against your'e face and just pull for a downward pass. The head profile is very similar to
many of the single piece TTO razors I own so manouvrability is not a particular issue for me.

As with all adjustables the dial can be a blessing and a curse, I usually shave with it on 5 as a default setting for all my main passes,
if I want something a little closer I will dial around that datum setting usually 4 and then 6/7. (mowing grass analogy apply's here)
The real joy of course is being able to buff against the grain safely by dialing down to 2 or 3 with little or no irritation, that is where
this razor really comes into it's own for me. A fatboy and feather is one of my favorite combinations, probably not the best starter razor
because of the irressistable urge to touch that dial before you're technique is sound but certainly a must have for every collector and shaver.

Dave at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.safetyrazors.co.uk">http://www.safetyrazors.co.uk</a><!-- m --> did a great replating job on this one, unfortunately I don't have a before
picture but the plating on the doors and saftey bars was at least 80% missing. Certainly worth considering a re-plate
if your'e favourite razor is looking a little tired, you will find his prices more than reasonable.

I don't know if there is any real difference between the Fatboy and Executive other than plating and packaging. I do like the Fatboy but I like the slim slightly more so I have both and both shave equally well. Fatboys and Executives do seem to command a high premium which is good news if you are a seller but not so good for a buyer.

Dave at safetyrazors is a really helpfull guy, while I did not get mine replated he would be the first port of call if I was looking to get that done. I could not tell that yours was replated apart from it looks perfect which is unusual in itself. A very nice razor and I am sure you must feel like a king using it (or a pimp driving a caddy).

Good review, thanks for that.

Nice review, Tony, is this by any chance the first of an occasional series? I very much like Gillette twist-to-open razors in general, but what's particularly nice about the Fatboy is the weight of it. Compared to the Tech I use occasionally, it seems to do all the work by itself.

Nice one Tony, looks like a great job on the plating.I emailed him about doing my aristocrat but never heard anything back :?

Audiolab said:
Dave at safetyrazors is a really helpfull guy, while I did not get mine replated he would be the first port of call if I was looking to get that done. I could not tell that yours was replated apart from it looks perfect which is unusual in itself. A very nice razor and I am sure you must feel like a king using it (or a pimp driving a caddy).

Good review, thanks for that.

Yes it is a bit pimp daddy but I haven't actually used it yet, only came back from Dave a day or so ago. It's not really my style so it might be gifted or sold in the near future, I haven't quite decided yet.

Boab give Dave another shout he's usually pretty reliable unless he's out of the country.

I just got one of these a few days ago.

It's a different beast to the Merkur 38C I've used for the past 5 months or so, but the main thing that strikes me about it is how solid it is. A truly great little piece of hand held engineering.

Using it for the first time at a conservative '3' on the adjuster allowed me to shave with almost carefree abandon (compared to the Merkur), I've since found that a setting of around 7 replicates the aggressiveness of the Merkur, but having said that, it does feel a completely different beast to the modern German made DE razor.

I find myself using both alternated each shave, however if I'm in a rush, and only need a quick shave I can safely use the Fatboy on a low setting for a quick facial spruce up.

Even as a novice wet shaver, I highly recommend a Fatboy.

(I've given up on my Rolls for the time being...)

Totally agree with what you said "this is the one I always turn to if I want a safe stress free shave" same for me, i normally use the Futur or the Mergress, but for a Quality shave where i don't have to "Think" about technique, the Fatboy it is !!

Nice review Tony, and good job by Dave, lovely looking Razor..

Steve

Tony,
Did it start out as an Executive or was it a Fatboy that you had replated in gold? I've a shaver grade Fatboy that I'd thought about getting replated in nickel but it looks pretty good in gold.

Yellow Jim said:
Tony,
Did it start out as an Executive or was it a Fatboy that you had replated in gold? I've a shaver grade Fatboy that I'd thought about getting replated in nickel but it looks pretty good in gold.

It was always an Executive but there was plate wear on the silo doors and end caps that Dave at Safety Razors sorted for me. Although gold plate is symbolic of excess I think the Fatboy can carry it off quite nicely.

BTW this review is one year old and Cheese Dave now owns the Aristocrat.

This is probably the last (famous last words) of the vintage razors that I still covet. I keep trying on Ebay but as I don't really trust the sources, I am reluctant to pay top dollar.

What would be a reasonable price to pay for one?

I have seen them go for around $20 plus shipping (arond $30 all in) but that is a lot to waste if you are buying a dud.

hunnymonster said:
That entirely depends on the condition it's in when you get it... You're probably about "on the money" with a £20 delivered as being reasonable. Much less than that (say £2-3) and you're in Sunburyboy territory. Oh wait, that's what I paid for my Fatboy & Executive :D

I'll give you £6 and you can double your money!

On a more serious note, if anyone has one surplus to requirements then please drop me a PM.

Back
Top Bottom