The Fatboy

Nice write-up, Tony.

The Fatboys look nice, but I always preferred the look of the Slim. Having said that, I haven't owned or used either. Adjustable razors don't seem to fit in with how I do things, for some reason. The one adjustable DE that I own (Futur) I just set and forget.

Ian

Can do, even though I used to change settings between passes mine is basically set at 7 for all passes which works for me.

A year ago I was faffing, changing settings between passes. If I want closer now I'll usually do an extra pass.

With adjustables I find the one setting combo that gives you a two pass dfs. If you want something closer than that dial around that setting so for me it would be set on 6 then 8.

I stress that is what works for me.

I never took to the fatboy, sold mine to Michael recently and it's looking great these days, had it for well over a year but I just found the head too bulky.

Built like a tank with a nice heft but not for me.

Hiya,

I'll join the OP and agree that the Executive is my favorite razor also. For a number of years, the #1 ranked razor was a fatboy, and that was after I'd tried an Executive in the past. Yeah, it turned out the first Executive I tried just didn't fit me right..........go figure.

This last year or so I think the fatboy's been used exactly zero times. I ran across this latest Executive back then and put the fatboy away. For whatever the reason, this one fits me much better than the first from years ago. Heh, the fatboy shaves about the same as the Executive, but the fatboy knurling isn't quite as comfortable. The only other razor having that design is a Toggle. The Toggle head profile is similar in looks to those other two razors, but it doesn't shave the same for a few reasons.

So yeah, the Exec (or fatboy) is my control razor when trying anything new to me. I enjoy the other Gillette adjustables and could use any of em daily without a problem, but the fatboy type head fits me best. I'll set the dial on #4 and done deal. Perfectly zeroed in to my performance/comfort level.

Early in my DE journey, I used a slim for six months. I'd tried a few other razors before that, but the slim worked the best. The shaves were pretty darn good, and I saw no reason to try anything else. Heh, it's hard to imagine I felt that way.....

I had no interest in trying a fatboy, and bought mine through an ebay screw up. Thought I was bidding on a great looking slim and the damn thing turned out to be a goofy fatboy instead. I didn't even plan on trying the thing out, since I gotta admit it did at the time look a little clunky.....heh.

After a few weeks of seeing this thing around I finally gave it a shot. Back then I was using the Swedes as my go to blade and I popped a fresh one in the fatboy. Within the first couple WTG strokes I knew this was gonna be magical. For whatever the reason, the fatboy fits me better than any other razor I've tried over the years. Heh, that was the last time my slim was ever used.

The fatboy has great balance, with a little heavier head than many other razors. I prefer that type of razor, since it helps lessen the need for pressure. Heavy handle/light head razors (like a Single Ring) take a different technique that's more difficult to learn and requires some guesswork regarding pressure. Well, that's how it seems to me anyway.

The Executive/fatboy fits the bill very well for me regarding overall performance and comfort, plus it does feel good in the hand. Everyone should at least try one for themselves. It's unlike the other Gillette adjustables, and for me it's a perfect fit. That's why it's rated #1 in my shaving arsenal

Martin

Here's a pic of the two side by side:

Attachments

• fatboy and executive.jpg
    359 bytes · Views: 55
Back
Top Bottom