The Harrington Jacket

pem

Any fans of the classic Harrington style jacket on here? As an old MOD I love the style of these lightweight jackets, I have a Baracuta G9 and 10, they go really well with a paisley or check button down shirt, the "Mod" or retro style has had a resurgence lately, with some nice clobber about.

I have a original M51 fishtail parka, liner n all. I love mod styling and all though not full on into it you can often find me in a related clothing item :)
It's a great era of styling!

I was a skinhead in the 1970s we use to wear Harrington jackets squire brogues loafers Crombie coats two tone sta press trousers Fred Perry shirts bracers ben Sherman check shirts Pork pie hats and I had 8 hole Dr Martens without the stitching they were called astronauts danced to the original Ska sounds I always had my hair cropped really short with a razor cut parting and loved to travel away to football matches especially when Cardiff City played Millwall that game was the highlight for everyone in the South Wales valleys to attend, and believe me you took your life into your hands in the 1970s when going to place like Cardiff City Millwall Leeds there wasn't many worst supporters or skinheads than those three teams.

[video=youtube]http://youtu.be/HpeHX4Rqpmg[/video]

I had forgotten I had mine, just had a look at it as it has been sealed up for over 15 years. It is a Baracuta G9 in a stone grey colour still a good looking jacket and in mint condition.

missingskin said:
I had forgotten I had mine, just had a look at it as it has been sealed up for over 15 years. It is a Baracuta G9 in a stone grey colour still a good looking jacket and in mint condition.

Steve those G9 Harrington jackets sell for £270 today.

pugh-the-special-one said:
missingskin said:

Steve those G9 Harrington jackets sell for £270 today.

That doesn't surprise me Jamie they were never cheap even when I was wearing them when I was (at lot) younger.

Been looking at Harrington for years. One day when swmbo give me the nod ill get one. The shirts jumpers shoes are here just missing that illusive jacket.
One day .....

This is making me feel nostalgic, especially the bit about the sta prest loafers and crombies. John Simons, who used to be in Covent Garden but now north of Oxford Street, used to stock Harringtons and coincidentally there is even a piece in the Sunday Times Style today which mentions them. Some may remember that John used to have the Ivy Shop which was the mecca for all these things.

http://www.johnsimons.co.uk

pem said:
Any fans of the classic Harrington style jacket on here? As an old MOD I love the style of these lightweight jackets, I have a Baracuta G9 and 10, they go really well with a paisley or check button down shirt, the "Mod" or retro style has had a resurgence lately, with some nice clobber about.

I think they became popular in the second mod incarnation i.e. 1970s - I don't remember seeing any in the 1960s styles - unless they didn't make it as far north as Birmingham. Typical 1960s gear was Levis blue jeans, desert boots, button down shirt and dark blue overcoat - generically known as Crombies although few people actually owned the real thing. Long leather coats were an alternative - there were regular Sunday trips to the Portobello Road for the best value.

Didn't have a Harrington... our town is divide by a river, Shannon side and Far side, my side (Shannon) was for the Teds and Far side was for the Mods.

I did at one stage own a green bomber jackets with the orange inside lining (you could get them in black too) and a German Parka jacket... anyone remember them when they were trendy? Not as iconic as the Harrington, but deserving of their place in fashion history... at least in the town when I come from.

I also have fond memories on my heavy metal teen years... denim jacket with a huge 'Life After Death' Iron Maiden patch sewn on the back and various badges on the front. Cringe...

I got one from Merc a couple of years ago, If you keep an eye on the sale you can get some good deals.

http://www.merc.com/collection/sale/

Back
Top Bottom