The Joris

First shave with it this morning - and it's up there with the R41 for a picky shave! I'd say less aggressive because it gave a more comfortable shave - but she's a vampire waiting to pounce! And gave a great lesson in technique, very relevant to Lindy's problems with his Tradere.

Forgive me - three pairs of photos showing the exposure of the blade edge.

Mild as mild Edwin Jagger

DSC00225.jpg
DSC00226.jpg

Tradere

DSC00223.jpg
DSC00224.jpg

Joris

DSC00227.jpg
DSC00228.jpg

One can clearly see the degree to which one's flesh is exposed to the blade edge if the guide bar or comb teeth are in contact with one's skin. Also one can see the danger to one's health of laying back - lifting the bar or teeth and relying on the head cap for control. Barely a problem with the EJ, a dangerous ploy with the Tradere and definate hazard with the Joris.

My problem with the Joris is that it demands a very steep blade angle to shave and offers a permanent temptation to lay back for easier whisker cutting. It permits a smidge of laying back but another 10% of a smidge will result in blood very quickly. The answer every time is not to lay back but to lighten the touch. This one is going to need practice - on days when I have time to spare.

So I got a DFS but with tingling and blood in tender areas. Alum wasn't exciting but it took a bunch of a/s balms before I was comfortable again.

This is what my horn Joris looks like -

DSC00231.jpg

DSC00229.jpg

Ah, you could have had mine!!

The trick with this one is a very light touch and, like the R41, put the cap on your skin and rock it until the blade just touches.

Even then it's not an 'every dayer'.

Beautiful razor though.

And people believe the Cobra looks aggressive ! Bro Bechet, I can only admire your nerve and steady handies. That really does look like a fair bit of a beast.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

Bechet45 said:
First shave with it this morning - and it's up there with the R41 for a picky shave! I'd say less aggressive because it gave a more comfortable shave - but she's a vampire waiting to pounce!
So I got a DFS but with tingling and blood in tender areas. Alum wasn't exciting but it took a bunch of a/s balms before I was comfortable again.

How you doin buddy,

Yeah, I've heard the Joris bites like a rabid bulldog, and I think you're the guy to tame it! Yes I do.

Gotta get back in the saddle and do some serious riding till you break that danged critter of it's finicky manners. Luckily for you, I have some ideas.

You're gonna load up a Feather blade, which will show the razor you're a serious person. Then use plenty of blade buffing and j hooking during the shave. And finally, don't be ascairt to bear down a LOT.

Sounds good eh? Give it a solid month of everyday use and I believe you will thank me.

Dodgy

I would imagine that the issue with the Joris would be one of the blade flexing. The blade is clamped so far from it's edge that I can imagine that being quite "interesting".

Ian

dodgy said:
Bechet45 said:
First shave with it this morning - and it's up there with the R41 for a picky shave! I'd say less aggressive because it gave a more comfortable shave - but she's a vampire waiting to pounce!

How you doin buddy,

Yeah, I've heard the Joris bites like a rabid bulldog, and I think you're the guy to tame it! Yes I do.

Gotta get back in the saddle and do some serious riding till you break that danged critter of it's finicky manners. Luckily for you, I have some ideas.

You're gonna load up a Feather blade, which will show the razor you're a serious person. Then use plenty of blade buffing and j hooking during the shave. And finally, don't be ascairt to bear down a LOT.

Sounds good eh? Give it a solid month of everyday use and I believe you will thank me.

Dodgy

Dodgy, you are so full of good and helpful advice! Thank you so much for your guidance through my formative shaving days. Without your help, I doubt that I would be where I am now.

The nurses here in the face transplant surgery recovery ward are very helpful, too, also full of good advice. They seem to understand why I need to be handled so delicately, without being asked or told, just like you.

JohnnyO said:
And people believe the Cobra looks aggressive ! Bro Bechet, I can only admire your nerve and steady handies. That really does look like a fair bit of a beast.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

Well my nerve decided about discretion and valour and my steady handies tried to put a Muhle head on the Joris handle so I could have an easy shave - and an EJ and a New. Those naughty Frenchmen at Joris have gone and used a smaller head clamp thread size than everyone else - so only Joris heads fit Joris handles.

Pesky French never have understood the need for rules and uniformity (which is why, of course, they live in a Republic while we don't!!)

Bugg*r!!!

Why not just take a DE blade between thumb and forefinger and apply directly to the face?

(Edited for Swype-ing the wrong word and not noticing before posting. AGAIN. Idiot boy.)

Back
Top Bottom