The New Merlette

A fair old bit of swapping heads and handles went on before the original New Merlette was created, but we had a nickle head on a chrome handle. So we bought a Standard New head from a TSR member - thanks, Andy - that was in need of restoration and went looking for a chrome plater. He turned out to work a mile or so from my home but had a £50 minimum charge - so he did the New head for free along with someone's exhaust pipe and kick start.

Chrome head from a Gillette Standard New, chrome handle from a Merkur 23C long handled closed comb razor and we have......

The New Merlette

DSC00203.jpg

DSC00204.jpg

DSC00206.jpg

She shaves very well with that bit of New aggression easily controlled by the long handle - and looks the cat's whiskers!

The Merkur head now resides on my Neep extra-long handle and they go together well. So where to put the Stahly head when it arrives in the next few days?

It's alive! It's alive! (said in my best Colin Clive voice),

That's an interesting looking set up you got there doc. Merlette eh? Got a nice sound to it. I usta go out with a hillbilly girl from Georgia named Merlette. Yep, she had a sister named Merlene and a brother named Merle.

I've really come to appreciate the benefits of a longer handle than what's 'normal'. Took me a few shaves to figure the technique out, but now it's second nature and extremely comfortable.

Heh, you got a name in mind for when the Stahly arrives? I guess it depends what you stick the head on.

Martin

Really nice looking razor!

dodgy said:
It's alive! It's alive! (said in my best Colin Clive voice),

That's an interesting looking set up you got there doc. Merlette eh? Got a nice sound to it. I usta go out with a hillbilly girl from Georgia named Merlette. Yep, she had a sister named Merlene and a brother named Merle...

Martin

:D - Redneck (clampit) county eh? Great imagination! Must have been fun opening the post addressed to M.<surname> too!

geezer said:
. Merlette eh? Got a nice sound to it. I usta go out with a hillbilly girl from Georgia named Merlette. Yep, she had a sister named Merlene and a brother named Merle...

Martin

:D - Redneck (clampit) county eh? Great imagination! Must have been fun opening the post addressed to M.<surname> too!

[/quote]

Hah, pretty close! She lived in the county next to Clampitt (famous for resident Jed Clampitt). Yeah, her place was in Aintree county, and the cabin overlooked the mystical Cahulawassee river.

Matter of fact, Merle had a brief brush with Hollywood fame years ago when a movie was filmed nearby. You mighta even seen him sittin on the porch and playing the banjo in that flick. He was the best looking (and smartest) of the three siblings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tqxzWdKKu8

Dodgy

dodgy said:
Matter of fact, Merle had a brief brush with Hollywood fame years ago when a movie was filmed nearby. You mighta even seen him sittin on the porch and playing the banjo in that flick. He was the best looking (and smartest) of the three siblings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tqxzWdKKu8

Dodgy

Well if Merlette was half as pretty as Merle is good looking, I reckon you was doin' good, Martin!

Back
Top Bottom