The new puppy

antdad said:
He's bonnie, is he full size yet?

He's now fully grown Tony he's a big Bedlington Terrier weighing in at a fit 22lbs I've been upping his walks lately along the taff trail I give him a 10 miler once a week and a few 6 milers, all at pace of course, as for working him on rabbits as a breed Bedlingtons are a little slower to start than lets say a Jack Russell, but when they click usually around 16 to 18 months they have fantastic hunting ability, I've already have a Bedlington X Whippet bitch for him to breed with when he's a little older, I will also advertise him for stud after February.

Funny you should say that...after Charlie had the snip I then found out exactly what breed type he was, a bloody rare pure breed and the pups can go for over a grand each. DOH!!!!

TBH I would've had no interest in breeding him and do the same again, breeding working dogs I can appreciate but too many weirdos in the game worried about lineage and standard to make a fast buck and that's not what he was bought for. All dogs are mongrels after all.

crufts_2497671b.jpg

[attachment=8784]

Fred is now nine months old and a real handful at times. He's very good off the lead, doesn't wander far, but on the lead he's a nightmare. He pulls and pulls despite trying harnesses and even a choke chain. Off the lead though he retrieves very well, bringing a ball and dropping it straight to your feet. Excellent temperament too, daft as a brush loves the kids and especially a tickle on tummy. He's a right scavenger too and eats anything.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382616245.877471.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382616245.877471.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 23
Handsome and bonkers. He's still young but I mentioned it earlier in this thread Saint, I've really liked using a slip lead as you can really tuck it right up behind the dogs ears for better control and they are meant for working dogs anyway. If he's a gannet remember to reward him when he's being good on the lead, he should catch on.

I don't mind the principle of a choke chain at all but mine is rather thin necked and it just slipped down to his shoulders making it rather ineffective, harnesses are for pulling.

antdad said:
Handsome and bonkers. He's still young but I mentioned it earlier in this thread Saint, I've really liked using a slip lead as you can really tuck it right up behind the dogs ears for better control and they are meant for working dogs anyway. If he's a gannet remember to reward him when he's being good on the lead, he should catch on.

I don't mind the principle of a choke chain at all but mine is rather thin necked and it just slipped down to his shoulders making it rather ineffective, harnesses are for pulling.

I'll try that slip lead again. You're quite right about the choke chain, totally useless unless it's in the right place. Living where we do we are always getting asked if we work him, we even had the offer of seeing if he was gun shy. You can tell the working instinct in him is strong by the way he retrieves a ball and the way he sniffs it out if he looses sight of it. Great dog and the kids love him.

We use a figure 8 rope lead for our lab. Stops pulling instantly, our 5 year old daughter can easily walk her.
We also bought a proper halti, but the figure 8 wins hands down. And it has that 'working dog' look which we like as our lab is from working stock and looks very different to a 'show' lab.

http://www.harveydanielsonline.co.uk/ourshop/cat_292086-Gundog-Halters.html

Must get round to uploading some more recent pics of my 'pup', shes now 8 months old, looking very beautiful, not quite fully grown but she won't be a big dog.
I bought some cheap Karrimor walking boots at the end of summer, the tread has worn flat in a few places. So I'm now looking at getting some better proper boots for dog walking.
Everything I buy at the minute seems to be 'for dog walking'. Boots, hat, gloves, waterproof trousers, coats.
As my puppy has got older the lengths of walk have got longer. We used to limit it to a walk around the local housing estate that we live in, but a bit further afield we get into open country side. Now my favourite is a river bank walk. 15 minutes walk to get to the start of the public footpath, short stretch along open fields, then onto river bank (actually a man made drainage waterway as I'm in the Fens) its dead straight for about 5 miles, very wide top to the bank, well worn path, but never 'busy'. Its nice to say hello to fellow dog walkers you meet.
My route can vary quite a bit, we have the main one down to an hour now, but we can carry on further and make it up to two hours.
A few weeks ago I came across a little bridge that me and my mates used to go fishing from when we were 11. I'm 38 now. The bridge and footpath one side of it is unchange. But a new housing estate where once were open fields was a bit of a shock.
Bella has had a quick paddle in the river, so I think she's going to be a bit of a swimmer in the spring and summer.
Hopefully going to take a trip to Old Hunstanton beach sometime over the next couple of days with her.

Some pics added. Our favourite riverbank walk, with a friend. A quick dip, then home to get dry. And chilling on her sofa.
[attachment=9202]
[attachment=9199]
[attachment=9200]
[attachment=9198]

Attachments

• P1100027.JPG
    P1100027.JPG
    229.1 KB · Views: 44
  • P1100016.JPG
    P1100016.JPG
    287.5 KB · Views: 45
  • P1100017.JPG
    P1100017.JPG
    224.7 KB · Views: 37
  • P1100023.JPG
    P1100023.JPG
    259.3 KB · Views: 50
cold frosty Sunday morning. What could be better than taking the dog for a walk...
Right little poser she is when the camera is out.
[attachment=9365]
[attachment=9366]

Attachments

• P1100084.JPG
    P1100084.JPG
    191.7 KB · Views: 45
  • P1100085.JPG
    P1100085.JPG
    184.2 KB · Views: 39
Seems a long time ago since I started this thread.

Anyway, Rebus was 1 on the 4th of January, and he has grown up a bit from the pics at the beginning of the thread. He now weighs 37Kg.

Great looking dogs, boy have they grown.

Our Springer will be one soon and he's grown, he's nice and trim and kept on a strict diet.

[attachment=9368]

Fantastic dog, such a lovely temperament. He plays rough with the other dog, but with us he's a big softie. Better now on the lead with the previous mentioned figure 8 lead. Off the lead he is brilliant, he doesn't go far and comes back on the first call and sits straight in front of you.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389650426.330284.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389650426.330284.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 31
Back
Top Bottom