The Rarest Rooney of Them All

I've seen and owned some amazing brushes over the years. I'll admit, this year has been rather epic, to me anyways.

I'm going to pull a @Darkbulb and make a discussion thread about this unusual Rooney brush.

This particular brush has the distinction of being rather rare. This is the only known one in existence as best I can tell. I find that rather distressing, as I would love to own more than one of this lovely brush.

Before I go any further, here are the photographs from the seller:
_1%202_zpsva2qjk7m.jpg

_1%203_zpse4cwbcw0.jpg

_1%204_zpswtro0srr.jpg

_1%205_zpsyzvi2nji.jpg

I like to know the provenance of some of the more unusual items I purchase on eBay, so I contacted the seller, and she replied with "my partner brought it from a gentleman who was 90 years old who was moving into a smaller property. He had a large collection of grooming articles." She later went on to say that there were other Rooney brushes in this style if I'd do an internet search.

As it happens, I have done extensive searching for other brushes in this style. Mostly to try and find out if anyone has ever pinned down a date for this brush. I found one other in a similar style, owned by @thevez2 in butterscotch. Pictured here with a very nice old style Simpson Case brush.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426716449.893862_zpsufjjvpkz.jpg

The only other style that is similar are the two piece Rooney's with a hollow inside the handle. Though that type were "budget" Rooney's and most of those were boar brushes, sold under the house name of the chemist or other retailer. 'Boots' as an example.

Fishing lure brushes are fairly uncommon. Rubberset is the only manufacturer known (until now) to produce a brush with a fishing fly embedded in it. If I remember correctly, models 10c and 15c. People have also mentioned custom brushes as well, though I have yet to see any examples of these custom fishing fly brushes.

A member over at B&B speculated that it may have been made in the 60's through 80's, as that was when Rooney was making some of their more unusual brushes like the blue handled brushes and the ceramic fox hunting sets.

I believe that is possible, but I think this brush may have been made in the 50's, possibly as early as the 40's. From a post by mblakele:
"...Rooney did a little advertising in 1949:Chemist and Druggist Yearbook, Volume 81, p562. This mentioned shaving brushes in "pure Bristle or Badger" and also "Rooney's ladies' hairbrushes in pure Bristle or Nylon, in beautifully finished hardwoods or in laminated plastic, transparent or in a variety of lovely pastel shades." Once you start making transparent or pastel handles for hairbrushes, it is but a small step to fishing-lure handles for shave brushes."

The box is a design not seen before, and the label is marked "pure badger," also unusual. Rooney, like Kent, never bought into the hair grading system. They used the best they could get their hands on and called it badger. Or in Rooney's case, "best badger." They did mark boar bristle brushes "pure bristle."

This brush is being shipped out on Monday, so hopefully I'll have more pictures for this thread soon. I'm still flabbergasted that I was the only bidder on this brush. The initial bid was set very reasonably at £49.99. Modern Rooney's typically sell in excess of £100 and I expected this one to sell for close to £200 at least, being both rare and from all appearances, NOS as well.

Edit: I will be using it. No shelf queen here. :)

I think I've figured out what the fly is at least. I believe it is a Scottish style Mallard and Claret trout fly, one of the finest examples I've seen.
_1%204_zpswtro0srr.jpg

Here's the best one I've seen in a Google image search.
abbey.jpg

Here's another.
124.jpg

Last edited:
Very cool indeed and rarer than hen's teeth. Still, I prefer Fido's butterscotch monster V16 Kent.

Reckon you could sleep on this beauty:

V16.jpg
I don't think that display monster would fit on my shelf. I'm perfectly content with my V6.
IMG_20150911_022653382_zpswvdob78k.jpg

Interesting to read. It's surprising to learn that clear plastics were already around in the 40s.
According to my research, both Lucite and Plexiglass were in full production by 1936. The material was an essential war product, and was in high demand for it's use in aeroplane windscreens.

Back
Top Bottom