the razor skill?

Statement 3. Shaving with a DE (say, for sake of argument a Gillette Tech) is one thing...then try a Schick Injector. From personal experience, my first time with the Schick didn't result in any nicks, weepers or cuts; but my face was redder than the guy on Christmas Island who didn't look the other way when someone said "Look the other way!" It was also as tight as a whelk's arse.
So, yep. They behave differently. I also subscribe to Billy's calm posting. An Ardbeg 10 y.o. with a mere teaspoon of water...

Yes, what a relief to be back on topic...;), I think if you're familiar with DE shaving & have done it for a while & technique is no issue & you're not getting a comfortable shave with the razor, don't use it. I don't believe in giving yourself time to 'get used to' a particular razor. If it doesn't work first time for you, it probably never will.

Yes, what a relief to be back on topic...;), I think if you're familiar with DE shaving & have done it for a while & technique is no issue & you're not getting a comfortable shave with the razor, don't use it. I don't believe in giving yourself time to 'get used to' a particular razor. If it doesn't work first time for you, it probably never will.

That's what I posited on another forum and received the other two answers back to me. And started a second crap fest in the same thread.
It just seems that for the new shaver starting out with little actual in person help, they keep getting told to "put the un pleasant razor away and go back to it in a few months and try again". Ironically they are normally told to wait long enough for the standard allowed number of days to return the item to expire. And then try it again.

some razors and soaps are given a "status symbol" as being able to use them safely, that it creates a stupid logic loop in which a person is inspired/directed by others to shred their face with a bad for them razor, then wait a few months for the skin graft to take, and then repeat.
I know it helps with razor sales. A lot of folks sell off the un pleasant razor for a huge loss, and then a few months later buy it again in the hopes that the first one was damaged somehow, or that with the hope they have changed their lathering or shave technique enough that they can get a shave that doesn't need a visit to a plastic surgeon...

and then when it doesn't work out again, they sell it, then they wait a little bit longer and buy it again at forum direction...

That's what I posited on another forum and received the other two answers back to me. And started a second crap fest in the same thread.
It just seems that for the new shaver starting out with little actual in person help, they keep getting told to "put the un pleasant razor away and go back to it in a few months and try again". Ironically they are normally told to wait long enough for the standard allowed number of days to return the item to expire. And then try it again.

some razors and soaps are given a "status symbol" as being able to use them safely, that it creates a stupid logic loop in which a person is inspired/directed by others to shred their face with a bad for them razor, then wait a few months for the skin graft to take, and then repeat.
I know it helps with razor sales. A lot of folks sell off the un pleasant razor for a huge loss, and then a few months later buy it again in the hopes that the first one was damaged somehow, or that with the hope they have changed their lathering or shave technique enough that they can get a shave that doesn't need a visit to a plastic surgeon...

and then when it doesn't work out again, they sell it, then they wait a little bit longer and buy it again at forum direction...
I think that's true if you're new to DE shaving. Almost any razor, be it mild or aggressive will almost certainly leave you with discomfort in some way or another until you get your technique right. However, if you're used to DE shaving, then as I said previously, you can pretty much tell if a razor's going to be good for you straight away. What happens I think to some people is that they try to make the progression from say, really mild to aggressive, too quickly without giving themselves time to dial in their technique properly.

Last edited:
there is some merit in holding back getting rid of a razor that may seem unsuitable, revisiting in a month or two can be valuable as the initial eagerness and expectation has gone and you can get a less emotional response to the performance. i have sold stuff on in the past and regretted it, bought the same razor again and been surprised at the difference. i dont believe its just down to skill or improving technique. there are so many factors that influence your shave outside the razor/blade/soap combo. there have been a cople of razors that have gone to the bay after two or three shaves though, sometimes its just obvious that the thing is no good for you.

I would suggest that, particularly, after many years of using cartridge type razors, it takes time to learn the techniques required to give yourself a good clean shave. Everyone's face is different and changes as the years roll by and I am sure that whilst the basic technique will remain the same, there will need to be tweaks. As for different razors, as a complete newbie, I only have one so I do not have a clue what difference changing from one to another will make.

Back
Top Bottom