The Shining

Went to see the extended version of The Shining last night (all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy). :icon_twisted:

I'd forgotten what a strange and disturbing film it is. Jack Nicholson's performance is often said to be over-dramatic but it sure is compelling to watch. This film could explain my horror of avocado bathroom suites.

I still rate it as the scariest film I have seen, didn't know there was an extended version out.

Me neither. I'd like to see it. I don't think Jack over-acted, I think he was excellent. Although somehow he managed to alter the amount of whisky in his glass without touching it while talking to the 'imaginary' barman.

The extended version is the standard version that was shown in American cinemas. For some reason they cut a few scenes for the English release - all of them take place outside the hotel. They provide a bit more context about Jack's family life e.g. his drunken lashing out at his son.

I'm still wondering what the final scene means? When the 1920's photo shows Jack in the scene does that mean a) that he has been absorbed into the hotel somehow or b) that the movie Jack is a reincarnation of the 20's version (like the ghost says to him "you've always been the caretaker".) Or am I overthinking it? I suppose it's a ghost story so its not supposed to make sense.

Back
Top Bottom