The Soap Deli

Has anyone else tried the shaving soap from this place?

(http://www.the-soapdeli.co.uk/products/)

I got a sample of the lemon and ginger shaving soap as I hadn't found this forum then and it was the only one that Google showed as having bentonite in it. It was a bit tricky to get a decent lather from, perhaps due to the size of the sample as it was a small slither, but the results seemed pretty good. I gave half to my mate who uses a cut-throat and he also thought it was ok. As usual the shipping is high though.

I've just started an Edwin Jagger aloe vera bar but I was thinking of getting something for Mrs Doc at Christmas and adding my bit onto the order. Any opinions?

There's an awful lot of home made shaving soaps available, from all sorts of places and I can't see how to tell the difference, short of trying them all. I've also noticed that people have asked about them a few times here, but nobody has come back and said something is really good - with the exception of Nanny's silly soaps.

Jumping to a massive conclusion I suspect many of these shops are used by women as places to buy inexpensive gifts, and they carry shaving soap for that purpose. Because of that I don't think it's worthwhile risking over the barbershop prices to try soap that may or may not be any good.

And yeah, that's depressingly cynical!

It's not just that, the majority of home soapers use generic formulations, don't test (or know how to) and probably in good consciousness add ingredients because they maybe skin friendly rather than lather friendly.

Well I have tried this and thought it was ok, but I'm of course coming from a relatively new background. Compared to Wilkinson's and Boot's own shave stick it was very good. I used the EJ for the first time last night and by comparison it was good but I didn't seem to be able to touch up the shave on bare skin as well as I could before. I'll know more after a few more goes on it.

I think I'll stick with my plan to wait until Christmas and then think about the gift set/ shave soap combo.

That should read Wilkinson Sword, not the Wilkinson's on the high street.

[attachment=5591]

Attachments

• WS soap.JPG
    WS soap.JPG
    15.4 KB · Views: 11
Wanna experience a proper product, get something like Speick (if you're ok with medicinal/herbal scent), Vitos/Cella (amoretto/marzipan) or Proraso (several options now). These are the affordable options and top performance. Lather barely gets any better, but if you want sophisticated fragrance there are other options.

Thanks for the tips! Obviously I'd found Proraso before now but the others are new. Like I said above, when searching for bentonite that site was what came up. All the main suppliers didn't seem to mention it as an ingredient.

You could be well served by putting a WTB post and asking if anyone has cream from Trumpers, TOBS or T&H that they don't want. If you're not picky about the scent then perhaps you'll find someone with 3/4 of a tub they're not going to use that they'll let you have for a knock down price.

My (inexpert) feeling is that the creams from those 3 are so easy to lather that anyone can get a great lather as long as they don't add too much water, so you could use that as a baseline?

I've actually come to appreciate Vitos (using Coconut oil version) much more - now that I'm shaving with Feather SS. Difference is very noticeable. With DEs and SEs it's just very good, but with a straight it's excellent.

Back
Top Bottom