The Straight razor place?

Having been posting a few shaves of the day on the Straight razor place, I must say how impressive the srtaight razor photo's are on that site, and what a collection they have on show, really taken with the razors that Robert AKA the Bladerunnner, he as some pretty amazing looking razors, even though I'm a custom knife collector, I am seriously thinking of selling my entire collection just so I can start collecting straight razors.

Jamie

I've considered a straight, pretty things they are. But collecting? They a ton each and more, I just couldn't commit that many pennies to things I don't use daily!
As you say though, they're photogenic items, more so than a DE.

Canuck said:
I've considered a straight, pretty things they are. But collecting? They a ton each and more, I just couldn't commit that many pennies to things I don't use daily!

i know where you are comming from, but when you consider £100 pound a razor well that's probably the entry level for a half decent knife, and I have knives costing over £300 each. so most razor's would be considered cheap to a lot of custom knife collectors.

Jamie

pugh-the-special-one said:
Canuck said:

i know where you are comming from, but when you consider £100 pound a razor well that's probably the entry level for a half decent knife, and I have knives costing over £300 each. so most razor's would be considered cheap to a lot of custom knife collectors.

Jamie

Until you start collecting custom straight razors. They start at $500 USD, same as a good custom knife. Same as knives, add pattern welded steel, price doubles. Add ivory scales, $200 or so. Etc, etc. Good scales cost $100, just for a rescaling.

Want an uber rare razor such as a Dubl Duck Grim Reaper? Be prepared to shell out $1,000+ for one in okay shape. Want some fancy scales with a naked lady on them? $500+

Collecting razors is a pretty insane business. I've got a lot of them, I would know. You could probably pay for a whole semester of graduate school if you sold mine.... :oops:

I do love my straights, I've not spent more than £40 for any of them but I've been lucky and picked up some nice ones on Ebay cheaply and restored a few or sent the 1st off to Neil to be buffed and honed.

My ultimate razor would be a Japanese made razor, with ZDP 189 steel, now you are talking about a steel that can hold a edge like no other, plus high gloss finished carbon fibre scales made by custom knife maker Klotzli of Switzerland the king when it comes to carbon fibre, no one does it better, I wouldn't like to think how much that would cost, but I know it would be serious money. The thing is today there are so many super high quality steels out there the custom razor maker must be spoilt for choice, but I must admit iv'e not seen many new makers, or maybe I haven't really looked, I would be greatful for some links to new makers mostly custom working with steels such as ZDP-189 ATS-34 CPM S30V. Not really interested in Boker or flarmonica and some of the obvious makers.

Jamie

Arrowhead said:
asharperrazor said:
Want some fancy scales with a naked lady on them?
Might do... :cool:

Actually. NSFW Check this one out: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://customstraightrazors.com/coppermine/displayimage.php?album=2&pos=54">http://customstraightrazors.com/copperm ... m=2&pos=54</a><!-- m --> Hopefully it links fine. Otherwise, it's on page 5 of the Gallery entitled Razors I.

Yes, the link works, thanks.

A while back someone at SRP put up a razor with scrimshaw scales not disimilar to that one but the artwork was in a more stylised vein, like an old time tattoo; it was also a bit more SFW. Although my tongue was firmly in cheek as usual, if a razor came up with a Vince Ray type design, I'd be all over it.

Nb. That embedded link might be deemed a little risqué by some. Worth clicking in other words.

Back
Top Bottom