The Venerable Edwin Jagger DE89

You're just salty because they're better than a Tech ;)

M10w31w.jpg

I got one at last ... I went for the shortie (pictured here with my giant Muhle R89 Twist for comparison):

View attachment 117949

I found this infographics on Sharpologist website:

71kGviUXZVL._SL1500_-720x463.jpg

Spot the myth-busting section? Interesting that the author states that Edwin Jagger is NOT sourced through Muhle and their razors are independently sourced? Yeah, through the same supplier ... surely? Same for the soap? Odd.
I thought it was a joint endeavour?

I read this as Edwin Jagger being particular that they are not to be seen as a Muhle rebrand. Methinks the respective companies might be splitting hairs here ... as in yes, it's true that Edwin Jagger is not supplied by Muhle, but still true that it was a joint venture and BOTH are supplied by the SAME producer.
According to Neil Jagger, the DE89 and Muhle R89 heads were jointly designed so they "are the same head" in that respect, but Jagger manufactures their own heads on their own machinery in their own factory. Below is part of an interview from April 2012 where he is specifically asked about this.

Obie: The story going around is that the German Muhle makes the Edwin Jagger razor shave head. Is this correct or is it just fallacy?

Neil: Actually we hear this a lot. This is not correct at all. It was Andreas Muller — new to the Muhle Company at the time — and myself who teamed up to search for potential contract manufacturers before we started to design a two-part head that suited both company’s needs. It was a very exciting time as we exchanged numerous sketches and CAD drawings with alteration after alteration. Ultimately my determination to keep improving the underside of the DE base plate — clean and uncluttered — allowed us to agree on a new design that was really quite different from anything else we had seen already on the market. Once we had approved the drawings we both committed to prototyping costs and shared the complicated tooling costs, which were at that time considerable.

Obie: This then, once and for all, erases the currently held belief that Muhle designs and produces the Edwin Jagger shave head.

Neil: Having actively been involved in the design, trialing and final prototyping, just like Andreas, I view the DE head as part Edwin Jagger design. We do not rely on Muhle for supplies to fulfill our growing sales. Our components come direct from our tools and we determine availability, our own production runs and Edwin Jagger quality control.

Obie: And the Merkur shave head of the early Edwin Jagger days?

Neil: Merkur has never been involved in any part of the Edwin Jagger DE razor head design process or requirements. Originally we simply bought what Merkur had to offer, a sort of off-the-shelf agreement. Now Edwin Jagger has designed its own DE two-part head systems and owns its own tools, producing exclusively manufactured components to our exacting specifications. Edwin Jagger no longer uses any other DE head.

I have the 'Ivory' version of this, which I acquired ages ago. I find it a little on the mild side nowadays, but it's still a regular in my rotation.

DE89/R89? Who cares. They are to me in all sense and purpose both the same.

What they both are though, are legendary razors for every good reason. Every serious shaver should have one. And if you don't, then go out and buy one.

If the crooked owner of the Emporium says 'yes' then believe.

DE89/R89? Who cares. They are to me in all sense and purpose both the same.

What they both are though, are legendary razors for every good reason. Every serious shaver should have one. And if you don't, then go out and buy one.

If the crooked owner of the Emporium says 'yes' then believe.
aye, seems to be a first razor for loads of people before collecting kicks in. me included.

I think it was the first modern razor for me, either that or the old Pearl OC, I can't remember which. I got them around the same time and they're both worthy shavers, I still have them. But I already had vintage stuff.

I had a DE89 style clone I bought off eBay before knowing about the original, then I joined this forum and got into vintage razors. I've not actually tried a bona fide one.

I had a DE89 style clone I bought off eBay before knowing about the original, then I joined this forum and got into vintage razors. I've not actually tried a bona fide one.
I've tried a few of the clones before buying a genuine EJ head, and most of them are pretty meh.
The ones I'd tried were either more aggressive (but quite rough shavers) or the plating was quite poor, or threads stripped after just a few uses.

The DE89 head strikes a good balance of efficiency and comfort while being built alright.
Still, I wonder whether they couldn't cast e.g. aluminium 6061 to make a razor head that's between the DE89 and 3ONE6 head in price.

I've tried a few of the clones before buying a genuine EJ head, and most of them are pretty meh.
The ones I'd tried were either more aggressive (but quite rough shavers) or the plating was quite poor, or threads stripped after just a few uses.

The DE89 head strikes a good balance of efficiency and comfort while being built alright.
Still, I wonder whether they couldn't cast e.g. aluminium 6061 to make a razor head that's between the DE89 and 3ONE6 head in price.

Personally I would like to see an 89 in stainless. I'd be straight in.

The DE89/R89 is not as intuitive to use, especially for a beginner, as a Gillette Tech. As well, it was not innovative in that it merely copied a basic Merkur. EJ put lipstick on the pig with a fancy chrome job and the Brits went....

9g9rEGT.gif

Back
Top Bottom