Thiers-Issard razors

Hi all,
I have seen a basic black 11/16 round point Thiers-Issard straight razor.
£80 (new)
After of having a problam with the current razor, I was wondering wether this would be a good razor for a beginner?.
thanks

I personally would spend my money elsewhere.

I personally would look high & low to find a Filarmonica 12, 13 or 14. Doesn't need to look pretty just have a decent blade.
This will ensure your going to get the 'best' shave.

If you want new, go for a Revisor.

Or drop Neil Miller a PM and see what he has in stock vintage wise, at least then you know you are getting a truly shave ready razor.

That's some harsh criticism of TI.

Not that I wasn't going to criticize them myself, but for different reasons. They have rather thick and sometimes uneven bevels in my experience. Other than that, I don't really have any criticisms of them. Oh, sometimes the fit & finish doesn't live up to the price tag, ie the gold wash.

As for a Filly, I think they're overpriced at the moment. So much demand for such a simple razor....

The new Boker's I've come across have been nice. Strangely, I've only seen the King Cutters. Must be their most popular seller.

That said, your money is better spent on a restored shave ready razor. If you buy on the bay, make sure it's from a very reputable person. I've gotten a lot of work from ebay buyers who bought a "shave ready" razor.

I see no critism of Ti's?

I can't comment on a Boker as I haven't tried one. They have earnt a good reputation but so have Dovos but I wouldn't recommend them neither.

If you can get a Filly with a decent blade ( it is possible) you will be guaranteed a great shave, easy to hone and will hold if not appreciate in value.

Vintage straights can be hit and miss. Buy from a reputable seller who knows their hones and you have a head start!

http://www.strop-shop.co.uk/product/5%7C8_Vintage_Ivory_Mappin_%26_Webb_Celebrated_Straight_Razor_M-W-CELEB

I've just saved you a fiver - now go and buy some Nannys soap! :icon_razz:

Pig Cat said:
http://www.strop-shop.co.uk/product/5%7C8_Vintage_Ivory_Mappin_%26_Webb_Celebrated_Straight_Razor_M-W-CELEB

I've just saved you a fiver - now go and buy some Nannys soap! :icon_razz:

That is one beauty!!!,don't know wether to use it or frame it.lol
Have to wait till payday

Gotta be honest, I don't like how TI do things. Some of the razors can be good though, but that Mappin and Webb looks really nice, in my eyes and I would go for that in a heartbeat, before a TI. One of my favorite razors are a M&W, that I traded from Neil (he wasn't unhappy either):
012800x643.jpg

slrjona said:
Hi all,
£80 (new)
After of having a problam with the current razor, I was wondering wether this would be a good razor for a beginner?.
thanks

If you like Thiers Issard (TI) go ahead and buy it. Don't listen to various detractors regarding flawed finish etc it's just bla bla from envious jerks or from types who sell other than TI razors and therefore bash TI for some ashole reasons...the first razor I bought (after reading "very favorable reviews by "experts"" was Dovo Special (from Different Scent) and it was defective, it had frowned edge and I returned it, then I bought (from a german online store Dick.biz) Thiers Issard Le Dandy 5/8 (it was slightly cheaper than Dovo special) and was immediately impressed by it, much better than Dovo ...last May I bought from the same store (now called Dictum) Thiers Issard 6/8 Snakewood (you can see it here where I posted a picture http://straightrazorplace.com/razor-clubs/18310-french-foreign-laceration-16.html quite more expensive than Le Dandy but the difference (improvement) in performance is significant...much smoother than Le dandy and a closer shaver too - just like DE blade. Just one advice though, buy from a well know/trusted german seller/store and not american or english TI seller (I bought a TI 6/8 inclined nose from the Invisible edge and it had warped edge and it looked like it was assembled by someone else than at the TI factory- I returned it and got a refund however my return shipping cost (cca 20-25) eur were not refunded).

Hyperborean said:
slrjona said:
Hi all,
£80 (new)
thanks

If you like Thiers Issard (TI) go ahead and buy it. Don't listen to various detractors regarding flawed finish etc it's just bla bla from envious jerks or from types who sell other than TI razors and therefore bash TI for some ashole reasons...the first razor I bought (after reading "very favorable reviews by "experts"" was Dovo Special (from Different Scent) and it was defective, it had frowned edge and I returned it, then I bought (from a german online store Dick.biz) Thiers Issard Le Dandy 5/8 (it was slightly cheaper than Dovo special) and was immediately impressed by it, much better than Dovo ...last May I bought from the same store (now called Dictum) Thiers Issard 6/8 Snakewood (you can see it here where I posted a picture http://straightrazorplace.com/razor-clubs/18310-french-foreign-laceration-16.html quite more expensive than Le Dandy but the difference (improvement) in performance is significant...much smoother than Le dandy and a closer shaver too - just like DE blade. Just one advice though, buy from a well know/trusted german seller/store and not american or english TI seller (I bought a TI 6/8 inclined nose from the Invisible edge and it had warped edge and it looked like it was assembled by someone else than at the TI factory- I returned it and got a refund however my return shipping cost (cca 20-25) eur were not refunded).

You have the nerve to say don't listen to various detractors regarding flawed finishes, then go on to say that you have had one with a warped blade and badly put together???? If that isn't an asshole comment by a jerk I don't know what is.

jaycey said:
I personally would spend my money elsewhere.

I personally would look high & low to find a Filarmonica 12, 13 or 14. Doesn't need to look pretty just have a decent blade.
This will ensure your going to get the 'best' shave.

If you want new, go for a Revisor.

Or drop Neil Miller a PM and see what he has in stock vintage wise, at least then you know you are getting a truly shave ready razor.

FYO ALL our razors are supplied shave-ready.

Neil Miller said:
Hyperborean said:
slrjona said:
Hi all,
£80 (new)
thanks

You have the nerve to say don't listen to various detractors regarding flawed finishes, then go on to say that you have had one with a warped blade and badly put together???? If that isn't an asshole comment by a jerk I don't know what is.

Well Neil you saved me the trouble! A warped edge? Hmmm. Our policy is simple - we do not argue. If you don't like it, send it back. We like to think it's for a valisd reason though.....

Neil Miller said:
Hyperborean said:
slrjona said:
Hi all,
£80 (new)
thanks

Well Neil you saved me the trouble! A warped edge? Hmmm. Our policy is simple - we do not argue. If you don't like it, send it back. We like to think it's for a valid reason though.....

Neil Miller said:
Jeltz said:
I'm really not sure what Hyperborean is trying to say about The Invisible Edge there?!?!?!

Nic - who cares? To use his own words "...its just bla bla..."

Regards,
Neil

We do try to please (why would we do otherwise?) but as a far wiser man than I once said (well to paraphrase anyway) -

"You can please all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time, but even God can't hit a one iron"

I think it's still allowed to share your experiences isn't it. I believe that's the purpose of these forums. I only stated the fact regarding Invisible edge and that I got a blade with a warped edge. Mr. Dempster didn't argue regarding return nor did I, we had normal communication through our email correspondence as we exchanges several emails regarding the problem of the mentioned razor. I just think it would be fair of him to refund also the shipping cost I had when I returned the razor as it is on the seller to check whether the razor is without flaws not on the buyer. I believe that is the right practice isn't it?

Helveticum said:
Hyperborean said:
I think it's still allowed to share your experiences isn't it. I believe that's the purpose of these forums.

You're contradicting your first post now.

Oh realy? I wrote you should buy Thiers Issard from a known german seller/store and in that case you should have no problems with it. I have got the impression that complaints regarding Thiers Issard razors come when bought from anglo-american sellers. I don't know, but maybe the french are selling to the anglo-americans "factory seconds"... probably the germans are more demanding regarding manufacturer meeting certains standards of quality

Back
Top Bottom