Thinking about an adjustable

No, it's not that bad but is just looking like a Futur - not a true clone.

I received a Ming Shi 2000 from aliexpress and I found it lighter and less aggressive than the true Futur. Weight is about 90 grams and blade gap does not reach the astounding blade gap of the Futur.

Anyway, getting back in topic, in my opinion the Progress is the best choice ever among adjustables; I mean the true Progress and not Mergress neither Digress as the heavier bottom notch modifies the balance of the razor.

I bought (and then sold) all Gillette adjustables: Fat Boy, Slim, Black Beauty both short and long handle. They gave me what I considered perfect shaves but, as time went by, my technique improved and I became more hard to please about achieving BBS. Then I bought a Progress and found my holy graal in safety razors! It gives me far better shaves than any closed comb Gillette (adjustables, rocket or superspeed) can give. May be I never could find the right feeling with Gillette head, may be.

I had also a Gibbs adjustable: very beautiful, but not so comfortable due to the shape of the head that does not bend enough the blade - it is too flat, in my opinion.

I have also a chrome Futur: a wonderful looking razor, highly efficient but ... may bo too much. As a friend of mine used to say, the Futur begins where all other adjustables end. I like to use it, low settings, now and then but I won't say it's an everyday razor.

(YMMV ever!!!!!)
I'm also a Progress fan, preferring it to my Slim and Fatboy.

As for the Ming Shi I've read others say it's more aggressive than the Futur, others that it's the same. As they say, Your MingShi May Vary.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

The Merkur Progress is an excellent adjustable. The Parker Variant, intended as a clone, seems to have inconsistent quality control. Mine is fine, but others have had problems, which I've not heard reported about the Progress. The Dorco PL602 is a really excellent razor and is also adjustable, and in the US costs less than $4 (including shipping). Search eBay for best price. Rockwell will have an adjustable shipping in July, but of course until it ships we really don't know. The Rockwell 6S is a really fine razor, "adjustable" in the sense that it comes with three double-sided baseplates, offer 6 different "settings."

I've yet to see a comparison which supports that conclusion.

Hi @jmudrick, I am not a fan of cheap knock off copies of anything, simply because, I think it takes something away from the craftsmen and craftswomen who work so hard to develop and make something. As for the Futur, I thnk it is a fabulous razor and works for me with any number of blades. I just love it.

Hi @jmudrick, I am not a fan of cheap knock off copies of anything, simply because, I think it takes something away from the craftsmen and craftswomen who work so hard to develop and make something. As for the Futur, I thnk it is a fabulous razor and works for me with any number of blades. I just love it.
I can fully understand that. It can appear detracting but, the way I see it, it's similar to purchasing one song from an album. It's a small expenditure to get a feel. If you like the reduced contact with the article, it gives you an excuse to purchase the entire article. I'd assume for a number of people the same applies here. I.e. test-drive the $6 Chinese knock-off. If the shoe fits, you know it won't be 'wasted' money on the full-priced, properly manufactured, quality-controlled item.

I think it unlikely that anyone involved in the manufacture of the Futur in Solingen had anything to do with the development of the razor which predates the 1983 patent application (and may have simply been purchased by Merkur in any event), and in principle I have no greater respect for workers in Solingen than I do for those in Shenzen or wherever the Ming Shi is manufactured. I know of no reason to presume that one takes any more care than the other, and frankly my experience with Merkur products has not been mind blowing.

I regret that Dovo-Merkur management chose not to make patent protected improvements to the less than perfect if lovable Futur, but they did not, and they and the workers they employ are paying the price for that unfortunate decision.

I agree the novelty does wear off however I am thinking about getting another adjustable as I sold mine on and liked the versatility of it.

I enjoy the Progress more than the Gillette adjustables (Fatboys look nice in the drawer) but I don't see paying a $40 premium for a brass knob. I paid $35 for a beautiful gold 70s Prog I'm very happy with. The Rockwell could be great but it's not a thing yet.

I have just received a John Henry, the adjustable produced by Shapeways using 3D printing. I haven't used it yet, as it needs a spring that is hard to find. I bought it captured by the novelty of the production system alongside with a Fishbone, that proved to be a highly efficient yet aggressive razor that I am not sure I like; anyway, I just shaved once with it and I shall try it again with different blades.

I have just received a John Henry, the adjustable produced by Shapeways using 3D printing https://www.shapeways.com/product/WWZWF4CND/quot-john-henry-quot-adjustable-safety-razor-1705?optionId=62717187 . I have not used it yet, as it needs a spring that is hard to find. I bought it captured by the novelty of the production system alongside with a Fishbone, that proved to be a highly efficient yet aggressive razor that I am not sure I like; anyway, I just shaved once with it and I shall try it again with different blades.

Back
Top Bottom