Thinking of getting a straight or shavette!

Been DE shaving for a few months and thinking of trying a shavette or straight.can any one recommended a good starter?as I say only thinking about it at the mo. Not sure other half likes the idea of me using one,slightly clumsy!

Yes, strop before shaving, and some of us strop afterwards too. Because there's a knack to it and it's highly likely that you'll damage the strop whilst learning, you'd be best off with the cheapest one which actually works. If you send a PM to Neil Miller he'll give you sterling advice - by far the easiest way to get started is just to use him as a one-stop shop.

Of course, stropping isn't necessary with a Shavette. I suppose one of those might be an inexpensive way to dip one's toe in the water, but beware: they have a reputation for being vicious little beasties, hardly the thing for someone who describes himself as "slightly clumsy". I for one would far rather take my chances with any conventional cut throat razor, including the Japanese type.

I started with a shavette they can be very unforgiving, a momentary lapse in concentration and there will be blood! Seriously though they aren't so bad if you remember to never put the razor to your face at more than 30 deg the slightest touch will cut for sure, and if you replace a blade in a hurry make sure the blade is fitted evenly sometimes one end protrudes more than the other which is guaranteed to find a high spot or bump on your face, the upside is you won't have the high spot or bump for long!

DE blades are much sharper than a well-honed straight and the shavette makes them much more rigid.

These factors combine to increase the chances of irritation and accidents.

Another vote for giving the shavette a miss and going directly to a straight razor.

In my opinion, the only disposable straight razor worth serious consideration is the Feather Artist Club.

joe mcclaine said:
DE blades are much sharper than a well-honed straight and the shavette makes them much more rigid.

These factors combine to increase the chances of irritation and accidents.

Another vote for giving the shavette a miss and going directly to a straight razor.

In my opinion, the only disposable straight razor worth serious consideration is the Feather Artist Club.

I'm thinking seriously about getting the Feather Artist club, I think it's the folding version, not sure if it's the DX, I like the look of that razor, but as you said much sharper blade calls for much sharper concentration, more than likely I will end up getting one.

Jamie.

Well in exciting news my father in law is giving me has straights he brought while at Uni but never used,along with his dads de!so do I just need a strop?do I need a sharpening stone or anything?

You don't really need a sharpening stone, a strop will keep your razor in good order for a long time but you should have them professionally honed 1st. Even if you do buy a hone having them sharpened by someone who knows what they are doing will
  1. Show you what sharp really means, so you know what to aim for when you start to hone.
  2. Remove one of the variables from learning how to use a straight.
Learning how to shave with a straight is a reasonably steep learning curve so eliminating the question of whether the razor is sharp enough really helps.

If once you have a grasp of shaving, if think you want to maintain your razors yourself you have a choice of using a strop with an abrasive paste or powder, a barbers hone or a finishing stone to touch up the edge and keep it going (I have listed them roughly in the order of cost).

Pasted strops: There are various compounds to bring an edge back to near peak, such as chromium oxide, diamond spray and plenty more. As I understand it they do over time weaken the edge which is why many people go for hones but they will keep the edge good for much longer than stropping alone.

Barbers hones: These come up on Ebay quite regularly and are useful but I don't think they give as refined an edge as a finishing stone. I.e. they are perfectly satisfactory but I prefer an edge which is approaching awesome. I got mine for about £5 but I have also seen them make £25+.

Finishing stones: These come in various forms, the cheapest is the so called Chinese 12K waterstone available on ebay and from the invisible edge for less than £20. There is a widespread belief that they are not really as fine as 12k but none the less they are excellent value for money but a very slow stone which take a quite a bit of work to get the best from. There are some dear vintage finishers such as charnley forests and eschers which will set you back well over £100 unless you are lucky so again unless you get into restoring and selling razors its probably not worth the money. Coticules and a Naniwa 12k super stone come in around the £60 mark and will give a great edge albeit coticules are a natural stone and some are better finishers than others they are available from Eden Webshop and The Invisible Edge.

Neil Miller also keeps a wide range of stones but they tend to be those lovely vintage gems and as such carry an appropriate price tag.

You would not typically need a full range of stones, unless you want to take a razor which hasn't been used for many years from totally dull to shave ready and even then if its only a couple you want sorting then its cheaper to have them honed than buy the stones to do it yourself.

Back
Top Bottom