Thinkink of trying Soaps

Hi guys, I have been toying with the idea of trying soaps. I am looking to get some idea of how you guys store your soaps to protect them, do you lather in the storage container or in a bowl/scuttle? I currently use creams (unless you count Green Proraso in a tub), and face lather. I love the menthol from the Proraso, so now keen to try the likes of Stirling Glacial.

I also started with creams but after I got my first soap I never bought another cream :)

You will find that the most admired and talked about are usually soaps.

Tended so far to buy soaps that come with their own bowl or container not just pucks. It's expensive but usually worth it :)

I usually store soap in a small lidded casserole pot because it retains warmth a lot better than from the tub. That's when shaving. But as I prefer to use one product at a time, and not open anything if I have something else already open, then a soap puck stays in the small casserole dish, and I keep the lid on when not in use.

Derbian said:
Hi guys, I have been toying with the idea of trying soaps. I am looking to get some idea of how you guys store your soaps to protect them, do you lather in the storage container or in a bowl/scuttle? I currently use creams (unless you count Green Proraso in a tub), and face lather. I love the menthol from the Proraso, so now keen to try the likes of Stirling Glacial.

I too love menthol, just to let you know Stirlings menthol soaps make it look like Proraso has no menthol at all. It's a like a donkey kick to the face strong.

I use a couple of wooden bowls and a ceramic MWF bowl for storing my soaps. I find that the most cost-effective and practical storage solution is some aluminium tins with screw-on lids I found on eBay - I use that for my grated Palmolive stick (I can find the link if you'd like).
I load my brush straight from the storage bowl and make the lather in a separate ceramic shaving bowl, before applying the lather to my face.

I face lather so no extra bowl needed. I store my soaps in either the Ikea grundtal tins (a fiver for 3), or I try and buy them in their original containers (apart from über expensive ones like L'Occitane Cade).

Use a cheese-grater to grate down sticks or pucks and them pack them tightly into the tins. The tins are good for leaving a dribble of water on to soften the surface before you shave, they're also a good size for easy loading from most brushes, any brush with a knot above 26/28mm might not be as easy to load but you will get by. The tin lids close up nice and tight, once I've finished with my soap I bang the lid on and then run the whole tin under the tap to clear of any lather that spilled out onto the sides, then it gets quickly towel dried and thrown on the shelf for the next day.

Back
Top Bottom