This Is Lovely

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-ART-DECO-SIMPSON-BADGER-UNUSED-SHAVING-BRUSH-ORIGINAL-BOX-/350557399558?pt=UK_Collectables_Barber_Shop_Collectables_LE&hash=item519ed96a06#ht_500wt_922

Let's have your guesstimates, I say Finnish @ £245

jaycey said:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-ART-DECO-SIMPSON-BADGER-UNUSED-SHAVING-BRUSH-ORIGINAL-BOX-/350557399558?pt=UK_Collectables_Barber_Shop_Collectables_LE&hash=item519ed96a06#ht_500wt_922

Let's have your guesstimates, I say Finnish @ £245

I hope none of our members on here are biding for this brush......if they are I have a feeling they will be well impressed with you starting this thread.
Regards,
Pete

I have thought....

Check 1 correctly listed as Simpson
Check 2 listed as vintage
Check 3 listed as unused

Now that on its own is going to attract any self respecting brush addict.

Check 4 20 bids already
Check 5 a shaving brush with. 2 days to run is at A HUNDRED AND EIGHTY FIVE QUID!

I really don't think my post will be pushing up the price of that. But your concerns are aknowledged.

It's still a lovely brush.

A gold medal special for winning a race obviously. I 'm not sure where the seller gets Art Deco from but perhaps Gazza can shed some light., undoubtedly rare but not really that handsome.

I'm very relaxed about publicity about auctions like this. It's a different world now with open communication about what's going on. As with all these things, what matters is who has an eye on it and what happens in the last few seconds. Someone is going to have pay a lot of money for this brush. More than £250.

And any streetwise Ebayers will not have bid yet.

Fido said:
I'm very relaxed about publicity about auctions like this. It's a different world now with open communication about what's going on. As with all these things, what matters is who has an eye on it and what happens in the last few seconds. Someone is going to have pay a lot of money for this brush. More than £250.

And any streetwise Ebayers will not have bid yet.

Do you know anything about this brush, Fido, being bit of an expert... I've never seen a Simpsons brush that looks like that.

antdad said:
A gold medal special for winning a race obviously. I 'm not sure where the seller gets Art Deco from but perhaps Gazza can shed some light., undoubtedly rare but not really that handsome.

Olympic year too, that price is going to rocket.

man of leisure said:
On reflection you are probably right just me getting my knickers in a twist :icon_razz:
Regards,
Pete

Oh I dunno, kind of frowned up on other wet shaving forums...

man of leisure said:
On reflection you are probably right just me getting my knickers in a twist :iRegards,
Pete

What's up, you old knicker twister,

Personally, I think it all depends on the situation when it comes to pointing out a live auction. Something like what the OP linked to is fine with me and fair game. Plus, it's fun seeing something so unusual and I appreciate the heads up. Yeah, with 20 bidders so far you know a LOT of people are already watching this thing.

Now if it'd something like a rare razor as part of a lot...a razor sorta hidden or poorly photographed that someone might be able to buy right...that's a different matter. Like if I was to post a link to a Red Ring Eclipse in just that situation now, with no bids so far.....I stand the chance of pissing someone off a bit. I know it would bug me if I was watching that auction as a possible buyer.

How's that sound?

dodgy said:
Now if it'd something like a rare razor as part of a lot...a razor sorta hidden or poorly photographed that someone might be able to buy right...that's a different matter. Like if I was to post a link to a Red Ring Eclipse in just that situation now, with no bids so far.....I stand the chance of pissing someone off a bit. I know it would bug me if I was watching that auction as a possible buyer.

How's that sound?

Spot on I'd say Martin.

antdad said:

Oh dear....!!

Well it's not an 'Art Deco' brush - actually from the 60s. We made that style in various colours - red, blue, green as well as the one on show. Not from the Art Deco era - and I would challenge the seller to disprove that ;)
And there was never anything such as a 'Gold Medal Special'. Over the course of 5 decades Simpson brushes held the Gold Medallion/Gold Medal for brushes right across the board - bewstowed throught the British Industries Fair.
I do hope that sheds some light guys! All I can say is... I wouldn't at that!!

PS - I have contacted the seller to 'put the record straight'.....

Gary

antdad said:
Well two out of three isn't bad...what's the relevance of the chequer pattern?

Nothing really Tony! Just one of the many 'different' designs that we played with over the years. It did have a bit to do with the 'Sixties' - as in Mary Quant and all the jazz!
It might be 'rare' but I have a whole f*cking box of handle blanks in red. green, blue, etc of this style in the loft here at home - due to the fact that, um how can I put it, they weren't our best seller. Back when I was a wee lad in the 70s me and one of my sisters used to use these handles for playing 'draughts'. I had the blue and she had the green.....funny eh?! At the price shown I could knot the handles in the loft, list them and retire before the end of the year.....bliss!

Gary

Back
Top Bottom