To Shavette or not to shavette

Ids

I'm very tempted to get a shavette while the offer is on at B+H, I fancy trying a straight at some point but it doesn't fit in with my lifestyle at the moment, initially I'd just use it for the sidies, neck line etc but let's be honest it's going to find it's way onto my face at some point.

Any opinions?

So Vinny, are you saying that he should either go for a straight or stick to DE? Sounds like shavettes are really just a compromise lacking the best features of either.

yeah i certainly cant see the point of a shavette. It's no more effective than a DE razor, and yet much less safe lol. It's almost like going out of your way to make using DE blades somehow more dangerous.

Ids said:
I'm very tempted to get a shavette while the offer is on at B+H, I fancy trying a straight at some point but it doesn't fit in with my lifestyle at the moment, initially I'd just use it for the sidies, neck line etc but let's be honest it's going to find it's way onto my face at some point.

Any opinions?

Based on my experience using a shavette they can provide a very satisfying shave,maybe that extra 20% more compared to a safety razor,it just takes time to master,sideburns are a good starting point,then you can gradually work your way up and have a full shave with one, I've got a spare one if fancy it

i get cracking shaves of my shavette's i have 6 and there all in rotation with my normal straights never had a problem off them. dear i say some give me a closer shave than my de /straights but every one to there own if u go for one get the sanguine xd20 they are exactly like the feather artist club rg and are the best in my opinion

Shavette=disposable long blades

DE=same as long disposable Shavette blades..but more variety and anyone can use em!

Straight razor=takes up to 1 year to get proper technique and "hand training"...smoothest one of all but takes patience and detail everytime you use it

Blades

Blades said:

DE=same as long disposable Shavette blades..but more variety and anyone can use em!

Straight razor=takes up to 1 year to get proper technique and "hand training"...smoothest one of all but takes patience and detail everytime you use it

Blades

shavette equals a dovo actually as that is their model :roll:

the blade you use in most is half de blade not long blade

feather uses own blade
dovo ones has three holders one for half de blade, one for long de blade and one for hair shaper blade

never read such crap talk sense blades

pedro083 said:
Blades said:

Blades

feather uses own blade
dovo ones has three holders one for half de blade, one for long de blade and one for hair shaper blade

+1, and I've been using a straight for less than 2 months, and I manage BBS shaves without hassle, and I only shave every 2-3 days, so that's less than 50 shaves at the most.
1 year??, maybe if you've got parkinson or are otherwise disabled (mentally or physically)...

Max

+23 & 1/2 on DON'T :shock:

I tryed one at the beginning of last year. Same thinking as yourself.
Was thinking about a straight and thought this would be a cheep way of trying it out?

I now have a couple of scars that I will carry to the grave!.........Hey chicks dig them? :?:

Just starting to learn with a proper straight and yes they are way more forgiving!

Still have the dangerous item. In months to come when I am more proficient I may sling it in the travel bag?

FrenchBlade said:
pedro083 said:
Blades said:

Blades

feather uses own blade

+1, and I've been using a straight for less than 2 months, and I manage BBS shaves without hassle, and I only shave every 2-3 days, so that's less than 50 shaves at the most.
1 year??, maybe if you've got parkinson or are otherwise disabled (mentally or physically)...

Max

Take it easy with Blades guys, he has some points, I think (I don´t understand the DE/blades references though). You´ll see that things change after approx a year with a straight (I´m sure, for some faster and for some slower). I don´t think you have to use a straight for one year to get good results or even very good results, becuase you don´t, but there´ll be a change for the better.

As for shavettes or shavette like razors, they can be very good but are more unforgiving than a straight. There are some really sharp straights out there too, like some framebacks and japanese straights and if used right they deliver amazing shaves ... and shavettes are kind of a really sharp straight too ...

Back
Top Bottom