To Shavette or not to shavette

i have a few shavette's my self and fined them very good to use once there mastered like every thing it has to be learned the key with the shavette is light touch and go that wee bit slower to your confident with them

I've steered clear of this thread for a while to see what other people had to say, after all we've batted this around before a few times on the straights board. I'll try to put things a bit differently this time.

The thing about open razors is that they can be an awful lot of hassle. Between polishing, honing and stropping them, worrying about and gloating over them, it does become a hobby, and a time consuming one at that. Using a Shavette circumvents all that, but it also denies the user the big payoff of using an open razor: the smoothness of the edge. In effect you're using a DE blade on a stick (when it was designed to be stressed into a curve in a holder with a safety bar), and the edge will be amply "sharp" enough, but rough compared to a well maintained straight razor.

I really don't see the point. The DE blade comes into its own in a proper DE razor which is designed to do the skin stretching for you and lessens the risk of cuts from a blade with a very low cutting angle. I believe that a Shavette is inherently incapable of giving any of the benefits which come from messing around with cut throat razors.

I was kindly pif'd a Shavette by Sunbury a while back. I have tried it and I agree with Arrowhead, there is benefit over a real straight but I did use it without a blade in it as practice to get my right hand working better ad I am a leftie and had real problems using my right hand with a straight.

Some argue it allows you to get technique without worrying about if you stropped it right but if you are wanting to use a straight then as said before go straight to it.

When I get round to it I will Pif the shavette onto someone else, in middle of domestic upheaval at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom