TOBS allergic reaction

Anybody else had one?

This is the only cream\soap I've used so far that made my skin tingle unpleasantly when I was using it (and it's still stinging now about 15 minutes post shave).

I've heard good things about TOBS creams, but I don't think I can use it again.

Hi Paul,

There quite strongly scented I've found so it can cause problems to some.

I've used quite a few TOBS creams. The only one that gave me a slight tingle was St James. The others have been fine.

What scent have you been using?

Dipesh said:
Hi Paul,

There quite strongly scented I've found so it can cause problems to some.

I've used quite a few TOBS creams. The only one that gave me a slight tingle was St James. The others have been fine.

What scent have you been using?

This was their Sandalwood cream. Admittedly I got a poor lather as I was using a brand new brush but when I reapplied for the second pass I felt stinging straight away which I've never had before.

Hello Paul........I wouldn't describe that so much as an allergic reaction....but more a sensitivity to some ingredient in the Soap/Cream.....I too get the stinging on occasion with some soaps....usually on the second soaping after the first razor pass has exfoliated the top layer of skin........
My skin is quite sensitive,to the extent that the only Toilet soap I can use is Palmolive (Green)...all other toilet soaps leave my skin extremely itchy for days.....fortunately shaving soaps aren't generally a problem for me...SO FAR!!

I would Personally define an Allergic reaction as a rash or persistent redness/soreness/irritation which would perhaps require further treatment.

Could the prickliness of the new brush be a contributing factor?
Have you tried a "splash" of Witch Hazel following the shave...followed by a Balm to sooth the skin?...I find Nivea Sensitive post shave balm to be very good.

I agree with Goldcrest, don't bin it just yet, use it with an older brush to eliminate that possibility.

I've never had a reaction to TOBS creams or heard of others, though Dipesh is correct that they're quite strongly scented and often have colouring so it's not impossible that you've reacted to something. Shame, they're excellent creams at a good price for the quality.

Are you face or bowl lathering?

If you get the tingling from face lathering try bowl lathering as an alternative. It may improve things.

Ian

I bowl lathered in my scuttle. Admittedly I thnk the fact is was a first use brush really didn't help matters, but I got really crap lather.

However, I got crap lather the first time round with Trumper Sandalwood too but I have never had stinging before from any product (and I've got quite a few).

I think I'll try it once more with a more broken in brush and if it still stings I'll PIF it to someone (if anyone wants it).

Good call Paul.

I'd say there's something in it that doesn't agree with you.

As I've said above, I've only had it with St James but this tingle was minor compared to the face fire of Coates soap.

My skin reacts badly to a lot of things. However TOBS Sandalwood if one of the few I can use with not even a tingle.

I guess manufacturing faults must happen from time to time. It maybe worth going back to Taylors and asking for a swap (or at least a sample to try) of the Sandalwood, just in case your tub was a dodgy one.

Also, I find Edwin Jagger Aloe Vera to be absolutely the gentlest on my skin, so you may want to give them a try.

I'd take the pif, but I have lots of TOBS in reserve that I picked up cheap from TK Maxx.

Real Shave Company aftershave balm caused terrible itching but no redness (at least not till I had scratched for a few hours). I would always try a sample of any new cream if possible; if not, you can sell on here and put it down to experience.
No idea what caused the itching, by the way, but may want to bear the RSC in mind? Hopefully you will be fine if you haven't already tried it but do one day.

I had issues with the Sandalwood back when I was new to all of this. Itching / burning on the second and third passes. XTG and ATG. I mothballed the soap for a few months, presuming I had some kind of allergy. Note this was a while ago and my technique was very poor then.

However, I pulled the soap out again a few months later and found that the dodgy reaction seemed to have passed. My guess is I have a very mild reaction to something in the sandalwood soap. I am guessing the that the reaction is amplified if I have a rough shave / stupidly close / remove top layer of my epidermis.

I have been using the lemon and lime for much of the summer, no issues there.

I cant use any of the Taylors creams due to the irritation they cause.

They may be made by the same company as the other two T's (which i don't suffer these affects), but there must be a significant difference in the formulation. Wonder if this has any bearing on the price.

Back
Top Bottom