Toothbrushes/Dental Care

Well after another visit to the dentist today I have come to an age where I can't take things for granted. So after been given a couple of months to get my gums and teeth in order before yet another visit I have decided that I now need the tech for my oral hygiene.

So can someone recommend me a toothbrush, electric or manual.

Mouthwashes and toothpastes, any better than others, I generally just buy what's on offer

I have gum problems as in recent years I've been brushing too hard which has worn the gumline away. I did switch to electric toothbrush about a year ago but the bristles are really hard and haven't helped. Now I'm using a soft bristle brush and its settled down before I lose any more of the gumline.

I use colgate, though when my gums bleed I use Corsodyl for a couple of weeks. Also floss regularly. Sometimes the bristles of a brush can't get between the individual teeth to clean them properly.

Oral B Triumph 5000 bought as a daily deal from Amazon, does a good job.

Flossing daily is very important too, get a good floss and give 'em a go at least a few times a week.

Braun Oral-B Pro 2000 or above with cross action head. Gets you teeth really clean and easy to see pressure sensor.

Don't bother wasting money on the colgate Omron/proclinical it's rubbish. I wasted money on that pile of junk after my old Oral-B died and within a couple of months bought another Oral-B. The colgate didn't clean as well as the Oral-B. The smart sensor is just a gimmick, I ended up turning it off and just using it on full speed.

Toothpaste depends on what you need but all the major brands will clean your teeth.

Floss regularly as well.

Never use a mouthwash, although Vodka (neat and ice cold, straight out of the freezer) is likely to kill any germs left in your mouth ;-)

Any small-headed toothbrush if your brushing technique is good, but get a decent electric if you want to make it easier. Use a good floss, I've found that the cheap ones are really hard to get between teeth. Oral B Essential for example is fine, but the supermarket own-brands are crap. Ask your dentist if you need to use mouthwash, and if so to recommend one that is alcohol-free. Any toothpaste will be fine as long as it contains fluoride.

Brushing and flossing are great but diet is important too. I have cut down my sugar intake recently and aim to only have sugar as part of meals and not in between. Drinking and smoking won't help teeth and gums either.

I prefer Phillips electronic to Braun - I find the head shape is much better and the brushes last longer.

Try some inter-dental brushes as well as or instead of floss - they are a must for me. Oral B do a good floss called (I think) Glide - it's much easier to use if your teeth are close together.

Brushing, flossing/inter-dental twice a day will quickly bring your gums to better condition. Remember to let the brush do the work with little pressure and concentrate on the gum-line. Using an electronic for the first time will make your gums feel sore so try the starter programme if your new brush has one.

Philips Sonic toothbrush with Arm & Hammer toothpaste with bicarb of soda, Aloe Vera mouthwash & flossing once a day with Oral B floss. Working well for me thus far.

JohnnyO. :icon_razz:/.

I asked Santa for a Phillips Sonicare mainly because it used Li-ion batteries, don't know if that's the only brand that do but it's the only brand I found.

I had a Phillips Sonicare and it died on me in just under a year... looks like it wasn't water sealed and you know the rest.

Then switched to the Oral-B, pretty sure they're not Li-ion. They do take an awfully long time to charge, about 24 hours.

It's actually the Oral-B Triumph 6000 I have, all sorts of stuff on it that I never bother with.. bluetooth and a gimmicky smart guide thing... never been opened.

Other than the long charge time, it is very, very good.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Oral-B-Bluetooth-Technology-Rechargeable-Toothbrush/dp/B00K2U61FG

After a 10 year sabbatical from the dentist (bad experience put me off), I returned this year and the hygienist commented that there was very little plaque considering they hadn't been seen to professionally in 10 years.

Between the Sonicare and the Triumph 6000, I had a Triumph 5000 (which I still own), but I find that the battery just doesn't keep it's charge much after 3 years of use.

Back
Top Bottom