Toothbrushes/Dental Care

I guess a 3 yr lifespan for any rechargeable item that is in daily use is good service, the charge time isn't that important but I thought Li-on batteries might have had greater longevity.

Whichever way you look at it Carl, an electric toothbrush seems to demand that you keep it in your mouth for a minimum two minutes regardless of how busy you are. I just wish they had been available in 1950.

A mention for oral irrigators, which some folk claim to see major improvements with. I bought one of [these] due to not getting on with floss. I've only managed to use it a few times due to living arrangements, but it felt like it was reaching places that hadn't been cleaned before. Edit -- oh and it's F. loud.

Out of interest, has alcoholic mouthwash been shown to be A Bad Thing yet?

antdad said:
I guess a 3 yr lifespan for any rechargeable item that is in daily use is good service, the charge time isn't that important but I thought Li-on batteries might have had greater longevity.

For what it's worth I've had my sonic in constant use for about 7 years so far Antster. Only " maintenance " has been replacing the brush heads every 4 or 5 months & charging every other day.

JohnnyO. :icon_razz:/.

charging every other day

That was the situation I was heading towards with my Triumph 5000.

A full charge will last about 8-10 days on my new 6000. A full charge will last about 3-4 days on the 5000 model. Bear in mind, herself and junior used the 5000 quite a bit too over the years, so it wasn't just single person usage.

With mobile phones, iPods, iPads and other devices seemingly on constant charge around our house, I try not to have tooth brushes plugged in every day also.

JohnnyO said:
antdad said:

For what it's worth I've had my sonic in constant use for about 7 years so far Antster. Only " maintenance " has been replacing the brush heads every 4 or 5 months & charging every other day.

JohnnyO. :icon_razz:/.

If they are Li-on cells it's a good habit to get into Johnny, I currently use my oral B till it dies and then recharge it and Li-on cells won't like that.

Well impressed that people actually listen to what us dentists tell them - keep up the good work fellas!

Oral-B Triumph electric jobs would be my recommendation along with their dental tape (they now do a nice minty one). If you've bigger spaces then TePe interdental brushes of the appropriate size. Toothpaste wise I really rate the OralB pro expert ones.

Re alcohol in mouthwashes, the evidence suggests they're OK to use. If using a mouthwash don't so do straight after brushing or you'll wash away the fluoride and other goodies from the TP.

mikebrownington said:
Well impressed that people actually listen to what us dentists tell them - keep up the good work fellas!

Oral-B Triumph electric jobs would be my recommendation along with their dental tape (they now do a nice minty one). If you've bigger spaces then TePe interdental brushes of the appropriate size. Toothpaste wise I really rate the OralB pro expert ones.

Re alcohol in mouthwashes, the evidence suggests they're OK to use. If using a mouthwash don't so do straight after brushing or you'll wash away the fluoride and other goodies from the TP.

Good to know re Oral B toothpaste. My wife and I disagree on toothpastes so I am on the Oral B Pro Expert and she is on Colgate. Been using Oral B alcohol free mouthwash for I think over 10 years now (even though they split it into a blue expensive one and a green cheaper one now) - think it's great stuff. Also been using Oral B electric toothbrushes for years too (on maybe my fourth consecutive model) and not had a filling since and often get compliments on the condition of my teeth from dentists when in for my check up (I do live in Glasgow mind you where having any teeth can be rare in some areas). So can highly recommend Oral B products - I bought them even when I could get Aquafresh cheap during a year working at GSK in their staff shop!

mikebrownington said:

Ah, good to know, thanks.

Several years ago my periodontist recommended that I use a Philips Sonicare electric toothbrush and Cogate toothpaste. I took up his recommendation and my gums and teeth have never been better. I've also taken to using a Waterpik to clean between my teeth, because they are tight, and this too has worked well and I don't have to struggle to remove stuck floss.

Rufus said:
Several years ago my periodontist recommended that I use a Philips Sonicare electric toothbrush and Cogate toothpaste. I took up his recommendation and my gums and teeth have never been better. I've also taken to using a Waterpik to clean between my teeth, because they are tight, and this too has worked well and I don't have to struggle to remove stuck floss.

I was considering one of these as I have the same problem of tight teeth - useful to know they work.

Dental tape works better than floss for me and wish I'd got into flossing regularly years ago - would have saved a lot of fillings and a couple teeth.

Use Phillips electric toothbrush

Colgate

Teeth better for it

Eddie1 said:
Dental tape works better than floss for me and wish I'd got into flossing regularly years ago - would have saved a lot of fillings and a couple teeth.

Flossing is for your gums, it won't prevent fillings which are mainly caused by sugar in diet. It might not have saved your fillings but possibly stopped your teeth falling out. :icon_razz:

Back
Top Bottom