Total Recall 2012

Boab

Administrator
Staff Member
LeJog 2022 Finisher
Anyone seen this? I watched it last night and couldn't get over the amount of lens flare they were adding in almost every scene. I don't know if anyone else noticed this but it distracted me so much that I ended up waiting to see the next flare rather than watching the film. Rant over :D

It's something I want to see but I doubt it would have the charm and tongue-in-cheek moments of the original. And Sharon Stone was at her lifetime hottest then. Would you recommend it?

Boab said:
Anyone seen this? I watched it last night and couldn't get over the amount of lens flare they were adding in almost every scene. I don't know if anyone else noticed this but it distracted me so much that I ended up waiting to see the next flare rather than watching the film. Rant over :D

It annoyed hell out of me too when I saw it. You actually start making bets with yourself when it will stop but it doesn't. I think I'm at that grumpy bloke stage (not helped by the fact I can remember very clearly when the original came out, making me even grumpier).

In my messed up little world Kate Beckensale made a good replacement for Sharon stone!

The other film that got me was the opening car chase sequence in Quantum of solace - a differernt angle every 2 seconds and FFS hold the camera steady man or I'm gonna upchuck my popcorn...

...and thats my rant over :D

NotTheStig said:
Would you recommend it?

I wouldn't have liked to pay to see it put it that way. The set looks like Blade Runner for the most part and looked good if you can ignore the constant lens flare.

All this Arty Farty camera work...when are the film people going to realise, we just want to watch the film, without the fast panning, the fancy effects and the camera zooms whizzing in and out 'til you're dizzy.....Even some documentaries are the same, some to the point you switch 'em off as being unwatchable......

I've avoided watching it so far as I really enjoyed the original and this remake just feels like a lame cash in. I do like Kate Beckinsale but like most actresses of her ilk, she could do with a square meal or ten. I likes them curves.....:icon_twisted:

You should check out 'Looper' for a sci-fi film with something just a little different. I certainly enjoyed it.

Nghaaaarrr lens flare......GGGGrrrr new version.....BBBBllllggghhhrrr fancy films.......FFllllggghhhrrrrr......CGI.........bbbblllaaaaar..........remake......dddddrrrrrggghh......lame cash in.........ffffnnnaaaarrrrr.....arty farty gggnnnnaaaassshhh......popocorn upchuck.....bbbbwwweeeelllccchhh......

Etc

Yrs Slack

Gairdner said:
I've avoided watching it so far as I really enjoyed the original and this remake just feels like a lame cash in. I do like Kate Beckinsale but like most actresses of her ilk, she could do with a square meal or ten. I likes them curves.....:icon_twisted:

You should check out 'Looper' for a sci-fi film with something just a little different. I certainly enjoyed it.

The reviews have been pretty poor for it and I don't see the reason in remaking a film that's not even that old.
I agree with you on Looper, fantastic film.

Read IMDB and instead of Mars it's set in Australia (?) which is governed by the evil British (implicitly all British people are bad in Hollywood films despite us making up a healthy market for the film)

Total Recall was better than the average review would have it, but not great. In a year packed with outstanding film, it's not worth searching out, anyway. I don't regret seeing it, but then I pay for cinema by the month not by the movie...

Looper is definitely my film of the year so far, despite being out at around the same time as Rust And Bone, Argo, and Beasts Of The Southern Wild, all of which are extraordinary. It's proper, inventive SF with massive style and assurance. I think it's been a damned fine year.

Back
Top Bottom