Traditional Turkish/Greek/Cypriot coffee

Hi guys, I was wondering if any of you have experience in brewing Turkish/Greek/Cypriot coffee in the traditional manner using an ibrik/cezve pot?

I was able to acquire a nice copper/tin ibrik and have coffee the right grind (i.e. powder). I have watched many videos and forums and all seem to give slightly contradicting opinions regarding preparation method.

I have tried a few times now and while I can brew a decent coffee with a nice crema I am unable to hit that real sweet spot and find that the coffee I get is a little bitter and slightly watery compared to the Turkish coffee I've had in restaurants.

I use a medium/low heat on an electric hob. The ibrik itself is 10oz capacity (to brim) and I use approx 7oz water to 3 heaped teaspoons of coffee.

The method I've found best is to fill the ibrik with the water and warm slightly before adding sugar (only if I fancy it) and then the coffee allowing the coffee to sit on top and "melt" into the pot. I let the coffee heat till the crema reaches the top of the ibrik then I remove from the heat. I once again heat up till the crema reaches the top then remove and allow the brew to settle for a minute or so till serving.

Serving is done either straight into one cup (for me) or multiple cups a little at a time.

If there is any advice anyone can give me to help me reach that taste and consistency I've had in the past please let me know.

Or simply share your stories if you have tried the same method. It is an acquired taste but lovely.

Here is how I have always made it - I have a number of coffee pots including an electric one but have found that an old copper one makes the best coffee:

* Using a Cypriot or Greek size coffee cup as a measure pour water into a small coffee pot.
* Bring the water to the boil.
* For a 'sketo' put 1-2 teaspoons of coffee into the boiling water and stir well, until it froths up.
* For a 'metrio' add one spoon of sugar.
* For a 'glyko' add two spoons of sugar.

Coffee is always served with a glass of cold water.

David (I only like metrio!)

Many many moons ago I was an insurance man, selling insurance of course, collecting premiums and paying out claims. One day I had to take a cheque to a bloke who had just lost his wife. I always of course did my best to be considerate and if needed have a brief chat and just be polite and respectful. Any way this chap was Turkish and asked if I would like a coffee. Not wanting to be rude and also bearing in mind I knew nothing of their traditions I thought I'd best take part. Well it was full of coffee grinds and I was even daft enough to take another. It took me ages to get all the grinds out of my mouth. Still he did ring my manager and say how kind I had been so not all was lost. I believe it had fig in it too, thankfully to no affect.

Would it of been full of grinds or did his late wife make the coffee ?

Northam Saint said:
Well it was full of coffee grinds and I was even daft enough to take another. It took me ages to get all the grinds out of my mouth.

I kinda like getting some of the grinds although you shouldn't be drinking all the mud at the bottom of the cup.

andyjreid said:
Northam Saint said:
Well it was full of coffee grinds and I was even daft enough to take another. It took me ages to get all the grinds out of my mouth.

I kinda like getting some of the grinds although you shouldn't be drinking all the mud at the bottom of the cup.

I can remember the mud at the bottom, and I have no doubt I went too far down the cup. I do also remember it being a very small cup, and the chap saying in broken English "you like" !

andyjreid said:
Hi guys, I was wondering if any of you have experience in brewing Turkish/Greek/Cypriot coffee in the traditional manner using an ibrik/cezve pot?

I was able to acquire a nice copper/tin ibrik and have coffee the right grind (i.e. powder). I have watched many videos and forums and all seem to give slightly contradicting opinions regarding preparation method.

I use a medium/low heat on an electric hob. The ibrik itself is 10oz capacity (to brim) and I use approx 7oz water to 3 heaped teaspoons of coffee.

Yes, sir! I'm a native of the entire region, although British born and have made my fair share of said coffee... to the point that it runs through my veins!

I have the following pointers for you:
- Make sure you are actually buying from a TR/GR/CY brand that makes the coffee for this reason. Be advised that there are differences between all three - Turkish coffee is roasted dark (so very strong), whereas Greek and Cypriot coffee is known as "blonde", i.e. more like a medium roast, so much lighter.
- Try not to use electric heat if you can as these have thermostats - they warm up to the temperature they think is good and then stay at that level, meaning your coffee won't "rise" at the right time! Suggest you get a single gas stove (camping stores usually have them) if you can.

davidb said:
Here is how I have always made it - I have a number of coffee pots including an electric one but have found that an old copper one makes the best coffee:

* Using a Cypriot or Greek size coffee cup as a measure pour water into a small coffee pot.
* For a 'sketo' put 1-2 teaspoons of coffee into the boiling water and stir well, until it froths up.

David, if it weren't for your name, I'd say you were Greek!! Your method seems spot on to me - although I might not necessarily bring the water to the boil... a bit before the boil is optimum I find.
The electric coffee makers are superb these days. Someone I know has them and they are quite popular now in Greece and Cyprus. In some places in Turkey (Istanbul) I have seen them making it the traditional method, with ash and hot sand!

Northam Saint said:

Hahahahahaha rookie mistake!! You don't drink the whole coffee right the way to the bottom!!

rum said:
- Make sure you are actually buying from a TR/GR/CY brand that makes the coffee for this reason. Be advised that there are differences between all three - Turkish coffee is roasted dark (so very strong), whereas Greek and Cypriot coffee is known as "blonde", i.e. more like a medium roast, so much lighter.
- Try not to use electric heat if you can as these have thermostats - they warm up to the temperature they think is good and then stay at that level, meaning your coffee won't "rise" at the right time! Suggest you get a single gas stove (camping stores usually have them) if you can.

The coffee I've been using is Mehmet Efendi Turkish coffee but have arranged for some Cypriot coffee from a friend who is there just now. Any time I will be buying I plan to buy from online sellers from those countries

As it happens I do have a single burner camping stove and had that same thought that I may be better (and probably quicker) using a gas flame.

I'll use gas and David's method next time and let you know how I get on however would you say my coffee to water ratio is ok? I read that it should be 1-2 teaspoons per cup?

Being a greek i will agree in most but will give a little alternation to the method.

Put the coffee, sugar and water in the pot prior to heating it. When start heating start to stir. From time to time stop. If it is hot enough you will hear a small whistle and it will start to rise. Dont let it, stir again, do this a couple of times and then let it rise. This way it gets brewed slowly releasing its aroma and taste to the full.

Serve it, leave it for a minute so that the coffee powder due to weight goes to the bottom of the cup and becomes "mud". Take small zips and never drink the mud.

Proper coffee quality is essential to taste and results.

Oh and never allow bubbles to be made on the surface when you served it, its considered bad luck. You can avoid this by pouring slowly from the pot to the cup.

Enjoy! ;)

rum said:
andyjreid said:

Yes, sir! I'm a native of the entire region, although British born and have made my fair share of said coffee... to the point that it runs through my veins!

davidb said:

David, if it weren't for your name, I'd say you were Greek!! Your method seems spot on to me - although I might not necessarily bring the water to the boil... a bit before the boil is optimum I find.
The electric coffee makers are superb these days. Someone I know has them and they are quite popular now in Greece and Cyprus. In some places in Turkey (Istanbul) I have seen them making it the traditional method, with ash and hot sand!

Northam Saint said:

Hahahahahaha rookie mistake!! You don't drink the whole coffee right the way to the bottom!!

andyjreid said:
The coffee I've been using is Mehmet Efendi Turkish coffee but have arranged for some Cypriot coffee from a friend who is there just now. Any time I will be buying I plan to buy from online sellers from those countries

As it happens I do have a single burner camping stove and had that same thought that I may be better (and probably quicker) using a gas flame.

I'll use gas and David's method next time and let you know how I get on however would you say my coffee to water ratio is ok? I read that it should be 1-2 teaspoons per cup?

Yes, Mehmet Efendi is a good quality Turkish brand. But strong!
If you have a good source of the real stuff from said countries, please share it here! We get ripped off by going to the usual grocers. Best price is at the airports over there though. Significantly cheaper than here and so on...

undertherazor said:
Being a greek i will agree in most but will give a little alternation to the method.

Put the coffee, sugar and water in the pot prior to heating it. When start heating start to stir. From time to time stop. If it is hot enough you will hear a small whistle and it will start to rise. Dont let it, stir again, do this a couple of times and then let it rise. This way it gets brewed slowly releasing its aroma and taste to the full.

Serve it, leave it for a minute so that the coffee powder due to weight goes to the bottom of the cup and becomes "mud". Take small zips and never drink the mud.

Oh and never allow bubbles to be made on the surface when you served it, its considered bad luck. You can avoid this by pouring slowly from the pot to the cup.

Enjoy! ;)

I will respectfully disagree with the 'water + ingredients before the heat' method :dodgy:

I was taught to warm the water first (not boil) before putting everything in. Warm water will help release the coffee's aroma and I find that this way there are less "bits" sitting on top of the coffee. I'm sorry to say I am very particular about this method and it definitely works for me! :icon_razz:

As for the bubbles on the surface fairy tales.... there are plenty of stories about coffee, fortune-telling, luck and so on.... and I am staying way out that conversation!

What a great place this forum is! We get to discuss all sorts of stuff about shaving and on top of that we now discuss another of my favourite hobbies!! Guess I better put the.... ibrik... on!!!

If I had a source I'd let you know.

I have a workmate who is in Cyprus on holiday and that is the only way I can avoid postage costs.

I bought the Mehmet Efendi from either Amazon or Ebay and will probably end up buying any other coffee from there too.

So rum, talk us through your brewing method ;)

I love my "mud coffee" with cardamon. If you want some good coffee, I live in Israel, i can send you some good Arabic coffee, with cardamon or not.

Well had a bash again this morning (will wait till after lunch to try again ;)) and using the gas camping stove turned out a lot better than using the electric hob.

The coffee was slightly thicker and less bitter. I may even try adding a little more coffee next time.

turkcof_zps88b6e89c.jpg

Looks about right to me from the pic.

I think you should also try the Gr/Cy coffee blends - you may find that is more suited to our water here in the UK. My favourite brand is actually Cypriot brand by "G. Charalambous", spelt "Γ. Χαραλάμπους" on the label.

As for my brewing method, I measure the quantity of water in the cub first, then empty it into the ibrik or cizve. Start the heat below it right away. One heaped teaspoon of coffee per serving + sugar if desired. For a medium sweet (or metrio/μέτριο/ortar seker) no more than a level teaspoon-full of sugar. Only when the whole thing sinks in the water do I stir it gently. Be careful not to stir too much as you will ruin the kaimaki (crema) on the top! Once it has risen a bit, remove from the heat and serve. You can pour it all in one go for one person, but if serving several people pour a little for each person, then reheat, bring to boil and serve a bit more for each person and keep doing this until everyone has a full cup.

IMPORTANT: Serve with a glass of water and either a sweet liquor on the side or lukum!!

Looks good! It makes me think about getting my pot out and making some!

Incidentally, I keep an airtight tin of ground coffee (forget the make but bought in Cyprus!) in the freezer and use the coffee from frozen. That way, I always have fresh coffee to work with. I have not found that the freezer had any detrimental effect on flavour.

David

My ibrik holds 2 of these cups in the picture which is about 3 - 4 traditional demitasse so I'm going with 3 - 4 teaspoons of coffee into warm water and letting it "melt" into the ibrik. I was much better using the gas to have proper control over the heat which I think saved some of the bitterness.

I was planning to place an order for some of the Cypriot brands of coffee as I remember trying them when over there a few years back. The one that sticks in my mind is Laiko(?) Gold.

There is an ebay store selling 200g back of Cyrpiot coffee for between £3.00 - £3.50 (depending on which brand) however they charge £3.50 per bag to post to the UK and they won't combine postage (I've asked).

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261162018740&category=14309&var=&emailtemplateid=53427296&sellerid=OF5sKOndb37kkcO01+RebA==&buyerid=eJGfcJBwsRIC3KdWEUPL1A==&refid=store&ssPageName=ADME:B:SEMK:UK:LISTG

Back
Top Bottom