Train-spotters guide to the Merkur 37C

Merkur revised the 37C somewhere around 2015 with an alteration that took all the danger out of it and presented a perfectly engineered slant that was for everyone, not just the brave. Super-smooth and very efficient. The previous version was tinged with just that lick of danger that it might bite at any point and so it remained one for the more experienced shaver. The revised model is an everyday slant.

So, what are the differences? How can you spot which is which?

Well, current model looks like this:

AJFCJaXqQ7vuXf3GimTYhDSK8YvWB2Y2xwnusx66_CxEQSYF05SYZW_9dFaGdnBDm0gBZFTLCP72lq0O-n_83yIWCLnOiUaABe9d1PDuEznz079UpZGkbpTgpYVahaLFe_hw39YokzkVomNYjfMyq86t_C-NJA=w800

... and the pre-2015 looks like this:

AJFCJaVMdw74tk9YDnlAtQ1fvI4XpH97U8Vqdipjt7LhmexjZv7Z45UImQ4M2GxWevGyO6zDTEIGZxlD1kqSnQ0EH_RWDMdlmRl-FfMlkUlzjl0kE4uS6SAzx4eMHN02SmZSPmk7EiC-25ZgHJXnrPxayai_vA=w800

Notice the thinner cap and the toothier comb? That's about all for material differences.

For the sake of comparison, here's the Razorock German Slant (on the right, set against the current model Merkur 37C):

AIL4fc-Xa_1NyRJyoWpG62xjK8UtG0ido6n_m1GfPwcTpHB0sk5T_VCQHePR380TmxbnJUcjV29MneKxTG1nDlxXo2VVjHIHfeSV_ceRnGUPr2c140VfGzHHseADbXK99gUXkJ0sOOjC39b2NwDHG1BU8Tr5DQ=w800

The Razorock variant achieves the feel of the pre-2015 model but I think it does so by being somewhat less than perfectly engineered.

Happy hunting, if you're after the older model which suits a more practiced shaver. The current model is certainly a perfectly engineered slant and fit for all shavers.

Last edited:
With the current model, I was initially a tad disappointed that it didn't live up to my memories ... and the realised the refinements. Since using it a good number of times, I've come to appreciate just how perfectly engineered it is.

I got the older model back into the fold from a BST purchased the other day and using it tonight had all those fond memories flooding back. Love it! No claret, but it had my heart beating.

Ooh good shout. Turns out I got the old one (circa 2015 so was on the cusp]. I love it for mowing 3+ days down but not daily. Perhaps the update is a good daily option….

Excellent writeup, thank you.

Still use the pre-2015 version here and sometimes (on special occasions) breakout the vintage hoffritz slant which it is based.

I love the fact it can mow through a weeks worth of growth on the first pass.

I have the 'sledgehammer' version of this, with the long handle. Purchased circa 2008. I've managed to tame it over the years.

Point of interest - I once heard the action of the Slant described as being similar to that of a scythe, and that of a 'regular' DE as similar to a hoe.

Back
Top Bottom